- Counter-Currents Publishing - http://www.counter-currents.com -
American Renaissance Conference Canceled Second Year Running
Posted By Greg Johnson On February 1, 2011 @ 4:26 pm In North American New Right | 81 Comments
I just received the following email. But first, a few comments.
(1) Mike Polignano and I were planning to be at the conference to sell books, network, and hear Jonathan Bowden speak. Because the conference is canceled, we will not be flying to Charlotte.
Although we had initially considered going even if the conference were canceled, there is no time to organize an alternate meeting at another location and get everybody else on board. Besides, we do not want to spend one cent in Charlotte or encourage anybody else to do so either.
(2) I hope Jared Taylor will not file suit. If he did, any judge would almost certainly give the opposing counsel broad latitude in the “discovery” process, which means that AR’s subscriber and donor records, and even the IP addresses of the people who post comments on their website, could fall into the hands of our enemies. It is simply naive to think that AR can get justice in the court system.
(3) It is unfortunate, but I think it highly unlikely that AR will be able to put on another conference. How many people are likely to be willing to set aside the time, make the plans, and shell out the money for the second or third time with the prospect of another cancellation hanging over their heads?
(4) One cannot reform or work within a system that will not honor the values of freedom of speech, rule of law, and fair play that it professes to hold dear. This has the potential to be a clarifying and polarizing moment for White Nationalists. Events seem to be arguing against the conservatives and “mainstreamers” who would reform this system and in favor of those who wish to wash their hands of it and instead focus their time, talents, and limited resources on creating an alternative. That’s what Counter-Currents is here for.
(5) I hold Jared Taylor in the highest esteem. He is a brilliant thinker, writer, and speaker. He is a highly competent organizer. He is rational, broad-minded, decent, and honorable. He played his hand as well as anyone could. He has my best wishes in what must be a time of anger, bitter disappointment, and disillusionment.
Dear Conference Registrant,
I am very sorry to inform you that the AR conference scheduled for February 4 through 6 must be canceled. Despite strong assurances that it would not submit to pressure, the hotel with which we had initially contracted has broken its contract with us. We have investigated many possible alternative venues but have not been able to find one.
There is evidence that at least one elected Charlotte official was working behind the scenes to deny us a venue, and our legal counsel is looking into grounds for action against the city.
We are deeply sorry for the great inconvenience this causes you, and I apologize to you personally. As the head of the publication that organized this conference, the fault is entirely mine.
At your instruction we will, of course, refund all registrations and banquet fees.
Many of you will have bought non-refundable air tickets. Generally, the amount spent on such tickets can, for a period of a year, be used to buy a different ticket on the same airline. However, most airlines then deduct $150 from the amount that can be spent to buy the new ticket. If you bought a non-refundable ticket, please send us proof of purchase and we will send you a check for $150. We do not want anyone to suffer financial loss because of this cancellation.
We have heard that because of the impending storms, some airlines are offering full refunds on “non-refundable” tickets. This offer may not apply to tickets for February 4, but it may be worth inquiring.
We are considering alternative models for future American Renaissance conferences.
Again, please accept my sincerest apologies. We greatly value your continuing support, and deeply regret that we will not be seeing you on February 4.
Article printed from Counter-Currents Publishing: http://www.counter-currents.com
URL to article: http://www.counter-currents.com/2011/02/american-renaissance-conference-canceled-second-year-running/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.counter-currents.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/jaredtaylor.jpg
Copyright © 2011 Counter-Currents Publishing. All rights reserved.