Video of the Day
Richard Wagner, Prelude to Tristan und Isolde"/>

Video of the Day
Richard Wagner, Prelude to Tristan und Isolde

time: 10:23

Zubin Mehta conducting Bayerische Staatsoper Bayerisches Staatsorchester (National Theatre Munich)

This entry was posted in video of the day and tagged , , , , , , . Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Izak
    Posted May 14, 2012 at 12:19 am | Permalink

Yes, the prelude and Liebestod!

I love Tristan & Isolde the most of Wagner’s operas. Everyone tends to love the ring cycle the most, but for whatever reason, Wagner’s erotic works always have made much more sense to me. They’re more cutting-edge in terms of tonality and chromatic experimentation, too, although I’ve noticed that the right-wing tends not to go for that sort of thing……

2. rhondda
    Posted May 14, 2012 at 6:00 am | Permalink

So who does the best version of Tristan & Isolde?

• Jacques Vendée
      Posted May 14, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

I’m my opinion there are two conductors with whom, as a general rule, one can never go wrong: Herbert von Karajan and Willem Mengelberg (not Jewish by the way), Mengelberg’s recordings are much older and suffer in sound quality and so cannot be recommended for everyone (and in this case there is no complete Tristan by him anyway). Karajan, on the other hand, is always a safe bet for sound quality and performance. His Tristan is excellent. I would suggest buying his recording on EMI.

The most often recommended Tristan is Karl Böhm and it too is great but Karajan is the ‘go to guy’ for just about everything for me. I just checked youtube and there are some performances by Karajan and Mengelberg from Tristan on there so you might just want to compare for yourself. Also be sure to check out Mengelberg’s Beethoven 5–any version. It’ll give you chills.

Posted May 14, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

I recommend Karl Bohm with Birgit Nilsson as Isolde

An older recording that still sounds wonderful is Furtwangler with Kirsten Flagstad as Isolde

Nilsson and Flagstad are two of the greatest Isoldes ever.

• rhondda
        Posted May 14, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks to you both. I will check then out.

• David Halevi
      Posted May 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

The Carlos Kleiber recording is well worth a listen too.

3. MOB
    Posted May 14, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Zubin Mehta?

Zubin Mehta: why I won’t play Wagner
    The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra’s director for life insists that Hitler’s favourite composer is still banned – for the moment

Mehta is quoted as saying, “I was born in India, and I am not Jewish. My connection with Israel, however, goes back over 30 years. In 1961, I went to Israel to substitute at the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra (IPO) for the great conductor Eugene Ormandy, who was ill. Immediately after the performance, the concert master said to me, “I am sure we are going to be together for the next 25 years.” He was more than right. I have been music director of the IPO since 1969, far more than the 25 years he predicted. And through these years, my love and admiration for, and solidarity with, the people of Israel has only grown stronger. I’m constantly being thanked for what I’ve done for Israel, my leadership of the IPO and my devotion to the people of Israel. But Israel has given me back tenfold what little I have offered of myself.”

Posted May 14, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Disgusting, isn’t it? But Mehta conducts Wagner all over Europe. So this is him sucking up to his Israeli public and employers. And it is disgusting.

• Andrew Hamilton
      Posted May 14, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Mehta is a Parsi (the Zoroastrian people in India, originally from Iran).

• Video of the Day:

• Kindle Subscription

The Lightning and the Sun

The Wagnerian Drama

An eagle with a shield soaring upwards

A Life in the Political Wilderness