You Must Change Your Life

Jean-Léon Gérôme, “Diogenes,” 1860

1,688 words

This is one of the shortest essays I will ever write. If I could get it down to a haiku, I’d be delighted. But the truth is that it doesn’t need to be long, and it probably couldn’t be any shorter.

You are probably reading this website because you are drawn to the principles espoused by the North American New Right. But like so many of us you live in two worlds. In one you are somehow, in one way or another, integrated into the system. You have a job, in other words. The other world you live in is a kind of virtual world: an online Right Wing world of websites, chat rooms, and Facebook pages where you can safely and anonymously vent your spleen against the modern world.

Congratulations. You’re no better than a Wiccan. Yes, I mean those people who channel goddesses, brew a lot of herbal tea, and can’t get laid. Theoretically, they have the means at their disposal to turn people into frogs and make beetles swoon. But nobody gives a damn. A few hundred years ago becoming a witch would have been a radical choice indeed. But today it is simply one “lifestyle choice” among countless others.

You see, witches aren’t a threat to the modern system because the modern system doesn’t believe in anything. Oh, yes, of course it believes in “tolerance.” But as G. K. Chesterton said “Tolerance is the virtue of a man with no convictions.” So long as Wiccans are tolerant of non-Wiccans and refrain from using their awesome powers to weird, bewitch, and glamour others, the system has no problem with them. Wicca is system-friendly because it’s just a bunch of cranks and weirdoes posting comments online and generally engaging in sub-mental masturbation.

The modern system can handle any number of such subgroups — so long as there is a kind of tacit agreement on the part of these groups to tolerate each other and to never do anything that really has the potential to wreck the system that makes their co-existence possible.

Do you see where I am going with this? For a great many of us, being a Right Winger amounts to nothing more than yet another non-threatening lifestyle choice. We slave all day in the system’s ruby mines, then come home and bicker with each other on our various “movement” websites. We tweet with rage at the system (and at each other), down a few to kill the pain, log off and try and get a few winks . . . before we have to get up the next day and go help perpetuate the system again.

Friend, you need to wake up to the fact that this life you’re leading isn’t worth a damn. You’ve got to change it. Now. You’ve got to find something more meaningful to do about our present predicament. In fact, you’ve got to find a way to strike back at the system.

What is absolutely imperative here is simply this: begin to think of your engagement with the New Right as your real life. (And on this subject see my essay “My Real Life.” Begin to think of your job as a mere means that makes your real life possible. This will give you a whole new perspective on things — and make going to work a lot easier. (It’ll almost turn you into a workplace Buddhist, like Jack in Fight Club.) But, ultimately, to lead a meaningful life and engage yourself with the New Right, you’ve got to do something. And it’s got to be real, not virtual.

Now, I’m not suggesting that you should go out and commit reckless acts of violence and destruction. I’m not even suggesting that you should quit your job. What I am suggesting is that you support, in a meaningful way, New Right movements and — yes indeed — websites that have the potential to make a cultural impact.

The most obvious (and, truly, easiest) form of support you can give is financial. How much money are you spending a month on cable? On Netflix? On pay-per-view? In other words, how much are you spending a month to avail yourself of cultural and intellectual poison? Do you really need to pre-order that new Burt Bacharach import CD that costs $48? You could send that $48 instead to some movement outfit that’s fighting the good fight.

But which one? I only contribute to one Right Wing cause. In fact, it’s the only contribution I make. I make a monthly donation of $200 to Counter-Currents.

Wait! Stop! I know you probably didn’t expect a fund-raising appeal. Perhaps you even feel cheated at this point, like I’ve led you down the primrose path then hit you up for money. But please bear with me. I’m writing about something I feel very strongly about. If you’ve enjoyed the other things I’ve written, if you’ve ever felt like I was speaking for you, please read on. I’ve written this piece because I’m genuinely afraid of losing something I value greatly. And I think you value it too.

Why do I donate to Counter-Currents? Well, there are a lot of “movement” organizations and sites out there begging for money. But for my money, most of them are wide of the mark. They’re preoccupied with IQ, demographics, ritual circumcision, and with revising certain details of recent history. Some of the people claiming to be on our side apparently think that if we could just run all the non-whites out of the country everything would be okay. But if that really happened we’d soon take one look around and realize that the whites are still the same gelded, spiritually empty, money-hungry humanoids that we’ve been for some time now.

What is needed is not more statistics and cranial measurements. What is needed is a ruthless critique of the entire modern, post-Christian world. What is needed is historical and cultural self-understanding, so that we may recognize and root out all those ideas and trends that have brought our people and our culture to the brink of destruction.

The Marxists created their own philosophy, history, economics, sociology, anthropology, literary theory, and psychology. For God’s sake they even created their own biology! We must do the same. The Marxists took over the world of ideas. For us to win back that world, we must create a new counter-culture. And it must be pitched at the highest intellectual level, while still being accessible to non-specialists. We must create a North American version of the European New Right. This is exactly what Counter-Currents is all about.

Counter-Currents — through its blog and its publishing imprint — is the intellectual vanguard of a North American New Right. To be sure, the high intellectual level of Counter-Currents’ essays and books has actually drawn criticism. Some take the position that what we need is “street activism,” not more pointy-headed innerlektual talk. The truth, however, is that he who controls minds controls lives. Non-intellectuals are only spurred to activism by ideas — ideas which they do not themselves create but absorb from others.

The tyranny we live under is an intellectual tyranny. It is control by bad ideas which most well-meaning people have never questioned and would be afraid to question. The only way to change this is through the dissemination of new ideas. And as more and more come to know these ideas and share them, they will slough off their timidity and sense of isolation. It is then that things get really exciting. Sadly, for those who are skeptical of intellectual movements, it is simply axiomatic that we must sit through the slow part before we can get to the action.

Make no mistake. Counter-Currents is not yet another “lifestyle choice” in this rainbow-colored, modern world. Its aim is the destruction of that world. It is not a support group for disaffected white males. It is a revolutionary movement. But the revolution, for now, is intellectual.

What you may or may not know, however, is that Counter-Currents is only two people (Greg Johnson and Mike Polignano), who have made this their full-time job. Unlike the rest of us they are not bifurcated into job-world vs. Right Wing world. They have devoted their time entirely to the Movement and are surviving on donations and book sales. They’ve succeeded in doing this for two years now — which, frankly, I find remarkable. But although readership of the website and book sales continue to increase (growth in online readership is particularly impressive) donations are few and far between. Things are stable for the moment – but just barely. Right now, it is not clear that Counter-Currents can be sustained long term.

If you have derived any pleasure at all from reading this or any of my other essays please support Counter-Currents by making a donation. If you have learned anything from the essays on this site, repay that debt by sending some money. If you feel that this site is a resource, and that it is a force for good send money, damn it! It doesn’t have to be that much. If you are a student or a pauper, send $5 or $10. It’s VERY easy to do this online: just GO HERE. If you are financially secure, consider making a recurring donation of $50 or $100. Hell, even $25 extra dollars a month would be welcome.

You may think that a small donation doesn’t mean much, but small donations from a lot of readers add up. If everyone reading this website on a regular basis made a one-time donation of $10 it would support Counter-Currents for a year. If everyone donated $100 it would support Counter-Currents for several years.

And we want this website and its publishing imprint to exist far into the future. Because without the creation of a new culture and the dissemination of new ideas — the very work Counter-Currents represents — we have no future.

So, in closing, if you want to do something tangible for our cause, and if you value this website and the difference it has made in your life, then make some donation now  before you do anything else today. Thank you.

This entry was posted in North American New Right and tagged , , , , , . Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. guiscard
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:27 am | Permalink

“Begin to think of your job as a mere means that makes your real life possible. This will give you a whole new perspective on things — and make going to work a lot easier. (It’ll almost turn you into a workplace Buddhist, like Jack in Fight Club.)”

Having done this a few years ago, I would offer some warning. If you make this ‘tranquility’ too visible, then your co-workers WILL turn on you, even friends. The fact that their job IS their lives will make them resentful that you are not so chained up. If you have numerous co-workers, it is inevitable that this situation will flare up (no matter how well you try hide it, your actions will eventually betray you). So basically, look for a job where social interaction is minimal.

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 7:40 am | Permalink

I was going to say just that. I’ve spend my “working” life treating my job as, well, “just a job” not a career [“Don’t make a Korea out of it” — Firesign Theater] and Howard Johnson here is right. Your co-workers, and especially your boss, WILL turn on you. This is serious fuckin’ “business” literally to them, and any suggestion you’re “of course” just working to support a real life elsewhere WILL bring reprisals.

It’s sort of like in Catch-22, where Yossarian eventually learns that it’s not enough to say, OK, I’ll play along; “We want you to LIKE us” the colonels say. Imagine a big closeup of Buck Henry’s shit-eating grin saying that in the movie version.

I’m not sure though about the idea of not having “numerous co-workers.” Granted, the more interaction, the more likely it is to come up, and the more chance for reprisals — and yes, grown adults will take it upon themselves to ‘tattle’ to the boss about your ‘bad attitude’ — yet on the other hand, you don’t want to be working with only a handful of others, especially a boss or two around all the time, which just brings the issue to a head sooner. “I’ve been watching your performance and well, it’s fine, but you don’t seem to take things seriously enough. I’m afraid we’re going to have to …” Temp jobs might be best, but of course they have their own problems.

This is one reason, student debt being the other, that I would seriously suggest to any ‘youth’ to forget about money and ‘careers’ in the first place and just get some practical skills, carpentry or refrigerator repair, which will provide good money and independent lifestyle. AND more Traditional anyway. You are better off reading Hegel etc. on your own anyway, without the liberal brainwashing that passes for “a college degree”.

• Jaego Scorzne
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Remember theatre is one of the ancient and sacred arts. We are just actors out on loan. The personality is a series of personas or masks. So pretend to be worried or frazzled. Moan about not having a girlfriend while you revel in not having one. Go out with them for a drink now and then. Observe yourself carefully as the alcohol hits you – being able to keep one’s mask on under the influence of intoxicants is one of the great tests. And not everything has to be an act: enjoy the music, be interested in the conversation, like the people if possible, be natural in your role and glean from it whatever real (if anything) there is for your real self – not the Vedantic Self of course since that is God. The Western Tradition assumes a real lower self, the quintessence of our many masks. Something makes us choose one mask over the another after all.

You could take the Eastern Position of no real or lasting self too. Women and Vedanta don’t mix btw. They invariably think (feel) that the Sages are talking about them and their problems. Once while walking thru Harvard Yard I heard a woman saying, that’s what I love about Muktananda, he says love your self, honor your self. She was clearly in Self Magazine mode. The relation between the Self and a or the self is as between the Sun and a reflection of the Sun in a puddle to use Shankara’s example. Women (the vast majority, but not All!) will also turn Cosmotheism into Cosmo Magazine.

• Mimir's Well
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Very true! Most people would consider what I do for a living to be a profession. To me, it’s a job, meant to make money so I can do what I want to do. I have to be careful not to offend my co-workers who’s entire lives revolve around their job. Fortunately, there are quite a few of us that are just “using” this particular profession, but we are in the minority.

• Mimir's Well
        Posted August 11, 2012 at 10:24 am | Permalink

should be “whose”

2. phil white
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 5:06 am | Permalink

I sent my $200 last month. I’m waiting for the rest of the free loaders to send $25.

3. Mimir's Well
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 10:21 am | Permalink

“Oh, yes, of course it believes in “tolerance.” But as G. K. Chesterton said “Tolerance is the virtue of a man with no convictions.””

Bam!

“The Marxists created their own philosophy, history, economics, sociology, anthropology, literary theory, and psychology. For God’s sake they even created their own biology! We must do the same. The Marxists took over the world of ideas. For us to win back that world, we must create a new counter-culture. And it must be pitched at the highest intellectual level, while still being accessible to non-specialists.”

Boom!

Funny…”tolerance” has been on my mind lately. We, that is American society, have allowed “tolerance” to run amok. We tolerate everything; sloth, obesity, sub par achievement (in everything, especially in academics), crime, corruption, poor service, poor workmanship, crappy food, crappy politicians, etc. The list goes on and on. The solution? Not entirely sure…but I think supporting sites such as Counter-Currents is part of it…

4. QuelleHorreur
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

I’ve been reading a lot of the excellent essays here on Counter Currents and I especially like your work, Jeff.
    I have been thinking about donating, but I don’t live in the U.S.A, and I don’t have a creditcard. I’m probably the only person of my generation that doesn’t know everything about computers and such, so can anyone give me some advice on how to donate without a creditcard from Europe?
    Does anybody have any experience donating from abroad?

Please excuse my spelling and such, I’m not very used to writing in English

Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

You can send a check or money order payable in US dollars, or you can send cash that is well-concealed (e.g., wrapped in paper or a greeting card) (Euros and British Pounds are fine), to:

Counter-Currents Publishing
      PO Box 22638
      San Francisco, CA 94122
      USA

Thanks for your readership and support!

• QuelleHorreur
        Posted August 12, 2012 at 3:53 am | Permalink

No, thank YOU.
        I will get right on it.

5. Gregor
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Let’s only hope that all those who regularly comment here have got ongoing monthly donations already in progress, and are upping the ante after reading this piece.

Jef’s well-written article just helped squeeze an extra donation out of me. Damn, these guys are good!

• BlackSun
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Well, it knocked me off the fence and got me started with a monthly donation of $50.00. Not only that, I’m looking for more expenses to cut so so I can increase my monthly donation. I’ve been thinking along these lines for the last few months but this really helped clarify things for me. It’s time to step it up!

Posted August 11, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Thank you! It really comes at a crucial time.

• Jef Costello
        Posted August 12, 2012 at 5:25 am | Permalink

Thanks also! I’m glad it was I who knocked you off the fence.

6. Owlbear
    Posted August 12, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Being nearly bankrupt I nevertheless managed to somehow send you 25 bucks. BlackSun is right, one has to cut spending. Not easy though with a family to feed… But you are right. If we do not substantially contribute to the cause somehow, with REAL action, REAL money and REAL activism, all hope is lost. It is not 5 to 12 it is already half past four.

Posted August 12, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Thank you. This means a lot. Generally, I find that poor and middle class people are far more generous as a percentage of their resources than the rich, yet they are also far easier to deal with. Thanks again!

7. Alaskan
    Posted August 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Great essay, Jef. When I’m done with grad school, I’ll absolutely up my monthly donation. Currently, I am unemployed (but loving it!) I feel that one obvious reason to donate to CC, as I’ve said long ago, is the fact that CC actually publishes original, quality books! Who else does that?

8. Jacques Vendée
    Posted August 13, 2012 at 8:11 am | Permalink

My innate hatred of wage-slavery combined with my love of sitting in parks and reading all day has kept me very much out of the “my work is my life” camp. I only regret this characteristic when I need to have work done on my car. It is then that I wish I had become a lawyer or something. Needless to say, my first CC donation last month was small. The forthcoming one will be even smaller. But send it I shall, with thanks for all your hard work and for being a bastion of sanity not only in the wider world but within the WN community.

9. Mighty
    Posted August 13, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

I’ve never offered donations to sites I frequent; however, after reading this article, I realize I should. I’ve followed CC for just about two years, and in that time, I have learned a great deal. I’m no intellectual, but the gravity of ideas is not lost on me, and the ideas espoused by CC, OD, TWDH, et al, are crucially important.

With that said:

I’m somewhat of a pauper, by choice. I habitually choose employs that minimally tax my cognitive endurance, so that I can spend the majority of my time writing fiction. At this point in my life, I can’t join the ranks of the major donors, but I will sacrifice and give to a cause I fully support.

Posted August 13, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much. We don’t ask people to do more than possible or comfortable. But we appreciate any support you can send.

10. White Republican
    Posted August 14, 2012 at 1:15 am | Permalink

I’m not in a position to donate much money to Counter-Currents, but I will contribute a translation of Hervé Ryssen’s short book Comprendre le judaïsme, comprendre l’antisémitisme (Éditions Baskerville, 2012) sometime in the next few months. That should surely count for something.

To give people a rough idea of the contents of this book, here’s a rough translation of its table of contents:

1. Jewish Identity

Advocacy of Miscegenation and the Pluralistic Society
    The Culpability of Whites
    Destroying Local Elites
    Anti-Christianity
    Blacks Will Save Humanity
    Races Do Not Exist
    You Haven’t Seen Anything!

3. The New World Order

The Organs Trade

7. The Destruction of the Traditional Family
    Advocacy of Homosexuality
    Transvestites and Transsexuals
    Feminism
    The Destruction of Patriarchy

8. The Psychopathology of “Anti-Semitism”
    Rapists
    Pedophiles

9. Psychoanalysis Finally Explained
    The Myth of the Oedipus Complex

10. The Hysterical Sect
    The Need to Be Loved
    Jewish Art
    The Jewish Prison
    The Symptoms of Madness
    The Suicidal Jew

Many of the subheadings above are taken from the Jewish narrative and are used ironically by Ryssen. When you put these things together and view them rationally, you can see how delusional these things really are. For example, Jews often insist that anti-Semitism is an inexplicable phenomenon, although conflict between different ethnic groups is quite common, and Jews have given no reason why it should be otherwise between Jews and Gentiles.

Chapter 8 could be better titled. It addresses sex crimes committed by Jews, notably those of gynecologists and psychoanalysts against patients, and rabbis against children. Such crimes are fairly common, but they receive little attention from the media, for obvious reasons.

Ryssen devotes a considerable amount of attention to cosmopolitan propaganda in movies. I might ask him to add a sentence about Lana Wachowski, formerly Larry Wachowski, a director of The Matrix films who recently had a sex change.

Ryssen defines Judaism in broader terms than the Jewish religion (pp. 11-12):

“The goal is to unify the world by all means, to erase all the cultural differences supposed to be the source of conflicts. It is towards this objective that the Jewish intellectuals of the entire world work without interruption. Whether they are of the left or the right, Marxists or liberals, believers or atheists, Zionists or ‘perfectly integrated,’ they are the most fervent partisans of the global empire.

“Judaism is therefore essentially a universalist political project whose objective is the unification of the world, prelude to a global pacification. . . .

“Contrary to Christianity and Islam, the Jews do not intend to convert others to Judaism, but simply to lead them to renounce their religion, their race, their identity, their family, and all their traditions, in the name of ‘humanity’ and ‘human rights.’ Indeed, the global empire can only be constructed with the residues of great civilizations, with the human powder produced by democratic societies and the mercantile system. Cosmopolitan propaganda thus aims to dissolve all ancestral values and all identities in order to erase the supposed sources of conflicts between men.”

The words Tacitus attributed to the Pictish chief Calgacus come to mind: “They create a desert, and call it peace.”

• Video of the Day:

• Kindle Subscription

The Lightning and the Sun

The Wagnerian Drama

An eagle with a shield soaring upwards

A Life in the Political Wilderness