Weekend Non-Update

Caspar David Friedrich, "The Stages of Life," c.1835

Originally when this website went online, I intended to publish “blog” items only occasionally, and never on weekends. But I quickly got caught up in the excitement of daily publishing, which was reinforced by immediate feedback in the form of commentary and rising traffic.

This exercised a subtle pressure to think in terms of quantity, whereas my original intention was to let quality alone dictate our publishing decisions. Slowly, I found myself writing, translating, and reprinting items just to have something new every day. But our long-term goals, not the immediate production of novelties, should be our guiding principle.

Now that the editing of books and the first volume of our print journal North American New Right has put increasing demands on my time, I have come to see the wisdom of my original plan.

Henceforth, this blog will not be updated on weekends, although I will feature certain writers and topics to encourage readers to explore our archives.

Furthermore, I am going to focus increasingly on publishing only original works, not reprints from other websites, although I will continue to archive the writings of our principal authors that appear on other sites.

Thank you for your loyal readership.

Editor-in-Chief
Counter-Currents Publishing Ltd.
& North American New Right

This entry was posted in news item, North American New Right and tagged , , , . Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Karsten
    Posted March 13, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

I’m always torn as to which is the best of the three top “genuine Right” sites — by which I mean this, TOO, and Alternative Right. The latter publishes a lot, and has many moments of true brilliance, but then it incomprehensibly publishes either disgustingly pro-Zionist material or articles on modern/postmodern culture by college students that don’t seem to be any better than a random forum post somewhere. It could certainly stand to be more discriminating in what it publishes, or at least more discriminating in its contributors. And for a site that promotes “radical traditionalism,” I’d like to see more traditionalism.

I love TOO’s focus, and I particularly appreciate the fact that it is anti-Zionist as well as opposed to Jewish influence in European and North American culture. I rarely disagree with Dr. MacDonald about anything. But sometimes, the site lacks a diversity of topics. Of late, it’s been getting better in that regard, with articles about the Grimm fairy-tales and about the Western beauty tradition.

That leaves Counter Currents. Best of both worlds? Possibly!

Posted March 13, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your kind words. They come at a time of soul-searching and re-evaluation of this site and its priorities.

As indicated above, I think that I have strayed from my original aims, and I want to get back on track. Thus I feel that I need to be more disciplined and selective.

To that end:

(1) I am going to check our traffic stats once a month rather than once a day.
      (2) I am not going to reprint material from other sites unless it is by one of our principal authors.
      (3) I am not going to publish anything that does not directly contribute to our movement-building and book-publishing aims. For example, announcing the retirement of “Hunter Wallace” or publishing something on who invented peanut butter were whims dictated by events, not dictated by our long-term aims.
      (4) I am going to ignore the squabbles and teapot tempests of the current North American “movement.” Some of our top articles last month dealt with such things, but henceforth I am going to focus on the movement we want to build, which increasingly looks like it will have very little to do with what exists today.
      (5) You will be seeing more Traditionalism around here. I don’t think that AltRight’s notion of Radical Traditionalism ever was intended to refer to the Traditionalism of Evola, etc. but rather is about traditionalism in a more generic sense.

• Fourmyle of Ceres
        Posted March 13, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

In response to Greg Johnson:

All too often, what should have been a “Movement,” defining that term rather loosely, degenerated into a series of pathetic internecine squabbles, resembling nothing so much as two bald men fighting over a comb.

So much Wordism (abstractions become ideologies, which are trying to become religions) has become a pseudo-intellectual overlay over what should have been a diamond hard Core of foundational ideas – and from THOSE, an ideology that serves what the Race should become.

I have been reviewing my thinking on where Christianity became an Institution (that serves The Destroyer) rather than a religion, and realize the critical importance of Traditionalism as a foundation for our words, and our deeds.

We have to simply strip away all that interferes with how Traditionalism can – and should, and MUST – operate in the world before us, laying the foundatiomn for the world to come.

That takes us to why Traditionalism – and, for me, true Christianity – are so critically important to the metapolitical project.

All true Movements have been defined by a Cause, and the most successful Movements have been defined by a Transcendental Cause, which is used to develop social institutions that fulfill that Transcendental Purpose.

We have accepted materialistic definitions of Race, as defined FOR US by our Racial Enemies. As a result, we are always fighting to be Charlie Brown, fighting for the opportunity to miss kicking the football, for some paste-glass jewel of middle class “respectability” (HT: Alex Linder).

We have always – ALWAYS – played THEIR Game on THEIR Terms, with THEM as the damn referees, and scorekeepers. The last half-century’s worth of what self-defines as Conservatism is a perfect example.

Harold Covington is so damn right it move me to tears; we have always set our sights too low.

My Posterity deserve much damn better.

The Movement needs a Cause, and the best formulation for that Cause is The New Traditionalism, a philosophy that can lead to the foundation of a new Culture, the next flourishing of the Western Soul, the living foundation of Western Civilization; a philosophy that is being define HERE, and nowhere else.

Remember the words of Savitri Devi, looking on the ruins of the NSDAP Cultural Moment. She was told (by a Jewess!) that she had arrived too late.

“No,” said Savitri. “I have arrived too soon.”

As long as The Work is unfulfilled, so have we all.

We can learn from this.

• Evan
        Posted March 14, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

I think you’re doing a great job here. This is necessary work and I don’t see anything I’d criticize.

• Lew
        Posted March 15, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I too think you’re doing fine work, and I welcome the emphasis on original content which is what I usually look for here.

2. Posted March 12, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Keep up the good work, Greg.

Even the reproduction of content from other sites is still useful and stimulating, even if their material does not align perfectly with what Counter-Currents believes. Now that the Occidental Quarterly has taken a slightly different editorial tack, this is probably the best site of its kind.

Kind Regards,
    Charles

• Eric Paulson
      Posted March 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

I haven’t noticed any editorial change at TOQ. Perhaps I’m missing something.

3. Peter Logman
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

I have profited very much from articles that were reprints. Maybe you can provide links to them, in only short notices, a format similar to the idea of Featured Authors.
    Many thanks for your work, I would like to encourage reduced efforts, though, to prevent overwork. The archive should provide extensive material so there will be sufficient articles to read without permanent new publishing.

Posted March 12, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

It is more a matter of redirecting my work to the most important things, rather than reducing it.

• kennewick man
      Posted March 14, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

I support your decision to redirect your work to what you see as most strategic. You already have a lot of good stuff here, and the links to your Dominique Venner material kept me supplied with good reading for the weekend.

Peter’s suggestion of links, when you come across outstanding articles published elsewhere, sounds good to me. I’m sure you read more than most of us, and links might benefit your readers at not too much cost in time to you.

4. Physis
    Posted March 12, 2011 at 4:51 am | Permalink

This is why ”Counter- Currents ” is one of the best ”food for thought” places on the entire internet.

Many thanks Greg !