Hail & Farewell

Ancient Greek funerary stele of Thrasea and Euandria. Marble, ca. 375-350 BC., Pergamon Museum, Berlin

1,070 words

Eulogy for someone who richly deserves it.

Some time ago I was shocked and greatly saddened to learn that a friend, a long-time associate, had recently passed away. He was still relatively young; he definitely died before his time. I do not wish to mention any further details, as, frankly, I know there are some who would react to the news in a manner different than I. However, to those who know to whom I refer with this eulogy, the following statement may be relevant.

I “met” my friend more or less at the beginning of my entrance into Internet activity; unfortunately, and to my regret, I never did get to meet him in person. Such is the cost of the Internet, which takes away in personal interaction which it provides with its other advantages. Nevertheless, after years of online interaction, such as it is, I did get to know the fellow quite well, and appreciated not only his intelligence and fine sense of humor, and the important assistance he provided to me and others on various projects, but his sense of realism and proportion as well.  I also appreciated this person’s respect for my work, and his oft-cited vote of confidence in the utility of that work.

Importantly, my friend knew quite well that much of “The Movement” was (and is) a joke, and had been for a very long time. He had, in fact, significant experience — decades of experience — with activism and its personages, and his comments on this topic were right on target. In a world of “easy online racialists” and various other unrealistic blowhards, this person’s level-headed sanity will be sorely missed.

A Counter-Currents article discusses some of these problems in the “movement,” including leadership.  Since some of this is similar to the opinions of my associate, it’s worth considering an interesting quote:

. . . the Right is its own worst enemy. Our movement is riven with enormous egos and obsessional people. So many among our ranks are convinced that only they hold the correct solution, and are so much in love with their own ideas that they will not tolerate even a slight disagreement over matters of philosophy or policy. I’m not a psychologist and will not attempt to speculate on why the Right is so prone to this phenomenon, although it seems endemic to all social movements, even if the Right in recent decades clearly suffers from a particularly acute case of it.

This problem isn’t restricted to those who start organizations, either. Whenever someone starts something that enjoys even a little bit of success, the jangling chorus of detractors and conspiracy theorists begins to make itself heard, eager to rip it apart. A common way to do this is to attack the characters of the people behind it, often, but not always, based upon information from dubious sources. In this way, we do our enemies’ work for them. It’s no wonder that few intelligent or talented people can stomach being involved with the Right for very long before they go away in frustration.

Again, these insights are very similar to those often expounded upon by my deceased associate.

Indeed, what does it say when even Negroes and Arabs – whom many WNs view as “inferior” – are better able to organize than whites?  For example, on Oct. 16, 2011, commenting on a Counter-Currents blog post, “Izakk” wrote:

John Morgan recently wrote a dynamite article for this website that talked about how community organizing is precisely what groups like Hezbollah and the Hamas have done, and it’s why they tend to attract people’s trust — not just angry, basement-dwelling men. Malcolm X, in his autobiography, wrote about how the most enthusiastic members of the Nation of Islam, when he promoted it, were young women, because he spoke in a way that directly addressed their fears and worries, and he was very community-oriented.

Yes. Instead of the usual “movement” freakishness, esoteric Gnostic nonsense, science-denial, divisive subracialism, obsessing over population genetic minutiae (which I am as guilty of as anyone else), pontifications about “being” and other conservative-philosophical claptrap, doom saying, lowbrow racial slurs, etc. etc. etc. — instead, actual community organizing! Who would have ever thought it? Amazing! Unheard of! However, since most of the “movement” precisely is composed of “angry, basement-dwelling men,” don’t hold your breath for any of that — real practical organizing — to happen for whites any time soon. Better to have Internet blog flame wars on topics the average white person doesn’t know about, or wouldn’t care a whit about even if he did know.

It is doubtful any of this can be changed by a planned, active intervention, and few in the “movement” — enjoying the madness of their activist “playpen” — would even wish for any change. More likely things will muddle forward, with the more probable result being complete racial collapse. A less probable, but more positive, outcome would be some sort of progress which will occur in a spontaneous, unplanned manner, due to societal collapse bringing forth a real movement and real leadership to light the way forward.

I hope I am wrong. But changing the way things are in the “movement” will first require identification and acknowledgement of some of the problems. As controversial as this may be, perhaps Counter-Currents can be a forum at which some useful discussion on these matters can take place.

Time to step off my “soapbox” and finish the eulogy. However, given what I know of my friend, I’m sure he would have appreciated these critical comments.

In summary — in the unlikely event that we are successful in my lifetime, I will make sure that my friend is remembered, for his activism and his character both. And if we do not succeed, his deeds stand nonetheless. Accomplishment is its own reward. My friend was a fighter for the preservation of the European peoples; in that alone, he stands far above the average man in worth.

We are a link in a chain. A man dies, but as long as his PEOPLE survive, a piece of him remains.

I do not believe in any specific “life after death” and I doubt that my friend did as well; however, if he is anywhere now, it would be here.

Hail and Farewell, friend.

Not present in body, but in our memories.

In the roll call of activists: PRESENT!

This entry was posted in North American New Right and tagged , , , , . Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Morgan
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Get a slush fund together with other racialists—invest; don’t put all your eggs in the one basket, grow the portfolio. Go into business with other racialists and use the liquidity to support young white families and the business proposals of young racialists. Purchase a pub or coffee shop. Then look into getting an apartment block for comrades, friends, family and other whites. From there, it’s up to the network; there are endless possibilities.

This really is quite easy to do, it’s all a matter of will and trust. It’s very easy to put aside $50 or $100…etc a month for these projects. I’m sure many here spend much more on cigarettes, alcohol, coffee, films, and so forth, a month.

I’m sick of reading all these attacks on the Movement without any suggestions offered. What I’ve proposed doesn’t need mountains of theory to support it, only fourteen simple words.

• Fourmyle of Ceres
      Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

THEIR GOAL IS GENOCIDE. OURS. WHAT’S YOURS?
      In reply to Morgan:

One, the “slush fund” would be nice, and will be necessary. For now, sending 50 or 100 dollars a month with punctual regularity to counter-currents might be an excellent place to start.

Two, the Racially Conscious Community business ecosystem was spoken of by David Eden Lane as what he would do if he had it to do over. It’s a good idea, and will become a necessity for the Racial Homeland, the Northwest Republic to become a reality. best of all, it can be done in an “apple-pie, strictly legal, sort of way.” (HT: Jim Giles)

Three, “fourteen simple words” might define an Ideal. From that to a Cause – say, a White Homeland based on the Northwest Republic – would be the next step. The Movement would be the people working to manifest the Ideal effectively, whole building the new nation, and around it, the new Homeland.

This all starts with the rest of us accepting the responsibility to send SOMETHING each and every month, to the best of us, whether it is counter-currents, or the Northwest Front.

That we made enough to keep the wolves from Greg’s door for a year is a remarkable achievement. We now have to make sure he can do better, and that requires him doing more, with more, by having more.

Wells said his only concern was what he called the Open Conspiracy. Mine is that my Posterity will live in the Northwest Republic, a homeland where none may make afraid.

That calls for resources, and smart people.

The most fungible resource is money, and, for the first time, we are developing our own solutions with really smart people. they need tangible support, and, believe me, no one is more humbled with gratitude than Greg Johnson when people send what we have long needed to move forward.

Money, this month, and every month. No excuses. Even ten dollars makes a difference that matters.

If you can’t find ten dollars a month for The Cause, what are your priorities? What are you REALLY serious about?

What’s In YOUR Future? Focus Northwest!

2. Ted
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

which became “invitation only” within days

I essentially closed down the site, but kept it online with myself as the only one with access, so as to save the material there. There was never any “private list” – only myself.

3. Savrola
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

The group mind comes when everyone you know is a cousin.

4. MOB
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 9:38 am | Permalink

His last email to me is dated exactly one month before his death. He wrote:
    Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:26:53 -0600 Subject: Re: testing

“I haven’t been checking the spamblocker since I wiped out my address book and dropped off all lists except the two I happen to own. You are one of the few of a handful of people I will continue to communicate with.”
    ___________________________________________
    A few months earlier, he had been enthused about your “westbiop,” which became “invitation only” within days – a great loss for those of us outsiders who had benefited more from your articles than from even the more famous scholars. Hopefully he had gained admittance.

My own opinions about the state of White leadership have been expressed at Majority Rights here: http://majorityrights.com/index.php/weblog/comments/elitism_secrecy_deception_the_way_to_save_white_america/

The thread was highjacked, as so many threads are. No matter.

5. Armor
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 8:55 am | Permalink

“much of “The Movement” was (and is) a joke”

The Movement is inadequate, but then, what should be said of all the smart white people in positions of power outside the WN movement? Even though they are supposed to be moral and intellectual leaders, they are afraid to say a word against race-replacement. They are certainly bigger failures than the WN movement. Unless the race-replacement policy is squarely denounced, any support for right-wing, left-wing, or environmentalist ideals amounts to a joke.

Our elites are not elites at all. Their lack of fortitude makes us feel all the more isolated in a crazy world. But I still hope at some point people will start regaining their wits in a kind of social chain reaction.

• Fourmyle of Ceres
      Posted December 9, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

THEIR GOAL IS GENOCIDE . OURS. WHAT’S YOURS?

Armor in blockquote, cites in italics:

“much of “The Movement” was (and is) a joke”

WHAT “Movement?” Bob Whitaker and his crew have the Mantra, which takes race replacement in stride as part of its criticism of White Genocide. Absent that, and Harold Covington, what “Movement?”

Absent those who contribute to counter-currents – preferably with cash – Bob Whitaker’s website, and Harold Covington’s Northwest Front, I ask again, “WHAT “Movement?”

If they, my friend aren’t talking cash, then they, my friend, are talking trash.

THAT is the bare bones of a Movement. Hell, these guys can’t agree on a Cause, or an Ideal to define the Cause around. So, don’t worry about them. If they don’t get it, they don’t get it. In time, if they are ready, they will. Savitri said it more gracefully.

“Hope” is not a Plan, much less a Plan of Action.

Two easy choices:

One, work to spread the Mantra of Bob Whitaker, and develop a technique of practical politics that reflects our political philosophy.

Two, send money to counter-currents regularly.

Most of our “white leaders” lack the moral courage to do either.

What’s In YOUR Future? Focus Northwest!

6. Ted
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 1:11 am | Permalink

If we’re speaking of the same person…

Yes, that is exactly the person I am talking about. A good man, as you know.

7. White Republican
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

I’ve recently been thinking about activist-relevant theory and media and how they should be developed. So far, I have many questions and few answers, but I intend to work upon these things. Some key points and questions:

1. A key objective of activist-relevant theory and media is to raise the average level of activism and competence among White nationalists.

2. Activist-relevant theory and media should address infrapolitics, of which James C. Scott writes:

“The term infrapolitics . . . seems an appropriate shorthand to convey the idea that we are dealing with an unobtrusive realm of political struggle. For a social science attuned to the relatively open politics of liberal democracies and to loud, headline-grabbing protests, demonstrations, and rebellions, the circumspect struggle waged daily by subordinate groups is, like infrared rays, beyond the visible end of the spectrum.”

“The term infrapolitics is . . . appropriate in still another way. When we speak of the infrastructure for commerce we have in mind the facilities that make such commerce possible: for example, transport, banking, currency, property and contract law. In the same fashion, I mean to suggest that the infrapolitics we have examined provides much of the cultural and structural underpinning of the more visible political action on which our attention has generally been focused.”

In other words, infrapolitics is the humus for politics.

3. Activist-relevant theory and media should also address what the Bolsheviks called agitprop in its multiple forms and contexts.

4. The development of activist-relevant theory and media requires a different approach to that of academia or commercial media. I intend to explore this in more detail to identify what is needed for developing, distributing, using, and reviewing activist-relevant theory and media.

I should look at what might be called the economy of knowledge. I recently read a chapter in a book by Brian Martin in which he posed the issue of how “interest groups affect the creation and use of knowledge, such as through funding, disciplines, hierarchy and competition.” Although the White nationalist economy of knowledge is largely informal and unmonetized, these issues are relevant to us.

5. I should examine the cost and the value of theory and media. A while ago I wrote at Counter-Currents:

“There are many books that are worthy of translation, but the market for such translations are small, as are the resources for publishing them. Relatively few people recognize how difficult it is to publish books. James Burnham remarked in The Machiavellians that intellectually serious books rarely sell more than several thousand copies. And David Bann notes in The All New Print Production Handbook that ‘50% of all books with an ISBN (International Standard Book Number) sell fewer than 250 copies.’ Figures like these should provoke serious reflection on the function, circulation, influence, cost, and value of books, and the priorities that should be observed in selecting books for publications. In these matters, Say’s law (supply creates demand) sometimes works, but it works very slowly. Intellectual tastes are very much acquired tastes.

“The cost and the value of publishing are two different things. It might be said that publishing is hardly a profit center but is nonetheless vital to the economy of the movement. People can’t identify with, contribute to, or work for nationalism if it has no hold on their mind.”

These issues should be examined with regard to managing media and fundraising.

6. Activist-relevant theory and media aims to increase the intelligence and skill applied to cultural, political, and community activism. It is neither intellectual nor anti-intellectual in the usual sense of these words. Snobs who complain that it involves “dumbing down” White nationalism don’t understand White nationalism and should be sent back to their ivory towers. White nationalism is a method as well as a doctrine.

8. Fourmyle of Ceres
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

THEIR GOAL IS GENOCIDE. OURS. WHAT’S YOURS?

Thank you for making some excellent points, matched with timely observations.

I see two main points:

Ted Sallis in blockquote:

Is this by accident, or is it the logical outcome of a handful of skilled manipulators who, jealous of the little they have going for the, ruthlessly attack any challenge to their failed vision. At least, the hatred of the inept – and what is the source of that hatred, but the Adult realization that their ineptitude extends to many, many areas of their life.

Greg Johnson’s seminally important Insight on this must be called forward; they are subpotent nihilists because have have already been defeated. They so fear the idea that Adult success is possible, however remote it may seem, that they attack anyone who has a Better Idea.

WHY is that? Why has the best Idea been reduced to acceptance among two groups; one, extremely small, smart people who can make an Adult appearance in public, and the other, people you would not want to be in a room with?

This eulogy strikes a chord with me because it reminds me of the late Dr. Sam Francis, who passed away under pathetic circumstances, with everyone who might have helped him – with the exception of two people, at most – having nothing to show for his life but some great books, articles, and analyses.

I like to think I could have come to his aid, in some small way, if I had been able to.

Harold Covington spoke of a late Comrade who was dying for someone to talk to, to help him understand that the fallen state of affairs was not his fault. Someone was found, shortly after he died, who was one of Us, living less than a block away.

This is why I mention the importance of contributions of counter-currents regularly. Monthly contributions are fine, but the certainty of amount is almost more important than the amounts themselves.

A common intellectual foundation would be good start. A common temporal goal seems worthwhile, as wee; say, a temporal bridge to the metapolitical future. A Northwest Republic. THAT has a ring to it…

The remarkable success of Judaism, and the Roman Catholic Institutions, is in good part because the individuals who matter see themselves, their lives, as temporal means to metapolitical ends. We can learn from this.

After all, they are successful, and we have yet to be.

What’s In YOUR Future? Focus Northwest!

9. Jaego Scorzne
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Yes all true. When around Leftists or Feminists, one can percieve something like a group mind. Evil. Horrible. Stunting. But effective. Even regular Liberal Democrats have the beginings of this.
    We need more followers not leaders. And every Leader needs to have been a good follower. There’s nothing shameful in not being charge of the Movement. The shame is trying to co-opt it for one’s own glory – which so many do in ways both big and very, very, very small.

We need our own Group Mind. That’s what a culture is – getting everyone on the same page. Then and only then can qualified individuals express their individuality and add to it.

10. Sandy
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

By way of discussion, isolation would be the first problem that has to be overcome. Everyone, from the Gays to The Nation of Islam all seem to have some place where they can go and have a reasonable chance of meeting fellows on the same wavelength and get to know each other on a social basis. Perhaps if Emma West knew of even a coffee shop where like minded people would often visit, her frustration may not have reached the point where she could be provoked into having an outburst.
    For a laugh I Googled “Racist Vancouver” and came up with 2,600,000 hits all which appeared to be anti – racist. I then Googled “Gay Vancouver” and came up with 35,000.000 hits all of which appeared to be positive. So if I was a lonely Gay man on a Friday night I would have lots of places to go to meet similar minded people, but as a conscientious White Man I have no place to go.
    My suggestion then would be for the conscientious in the larger centres to adopt coffee shops and bars where the next generation would perhaps find its way. After all, it seems to have worked for the opposition.

• Sam Davidson
      Posted December 8, 2011 at 5:41 am | Permalink

The reason why there are no places for White Nationalists to “hang out” is because the government – “ZOG”, would not allow it. It would go down like this: someone forms a local group that meets at a coffee shop. Someone else finds out, makes a few threatening phone calls, and suddenly the coffee shop refuses to allow the WNs to meet. This tactic happened 2 years in a row to the AmRen conference, if I remember correctly.

The government, the Jewish-backed “anti-racist” organizations, and their intellectual offshoots, have all been suppressing the growth of any WN movement since WW2. That’s why there is no public space for us. That’s why our movement tends to be dominated by ineffectual types. All the people wanting to do real organizing, real activity, and follow a sound plan, are removed from circulation. Governments have used entrapment, fabricated evidence, ex post facto laws, etc. to kill the movement. David Duke is sitting in a German jail right now for trying to address a private meeting. Emma West is in jail for an unfortunate public rant. Matt Hale is in a supermax prison for making an extremely vague statement to an undercover federal informant.

What ties these people together? They have spoken up for white people. That’s it. There are plenty of rude, obnoxious, and even criminal people who are not facing the punishments that we are, simply because those people are not WNs. Would the American government have put Chester Doles in prison if he had been organizing for the Republican party? Hell no. There are legitimate freaks and pedophiles in the major political parties who rarely get caught because they are not scrutinized like we are.

Very few people understand the situation and even fewer want to admit it. We aren’t failing because our ideas are wrong or because we don’t have the capacity to organize, but rather because we can’t withstand the forces currently employing violence and repression against us.

11. MOB
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Forgive this, it’s quite unnecessary, but a just arrived email (unrelated to CounterCurrents) reminds me that I’ve had the pleasure of four close friends, not three. : )

12. MOB
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Ted, you mentioned this once before, and I didn’t comment, though I believed the friend you spoke of was also mine, a dear friend from 1997 right up to shortly before his death. I spent much time researching to find out what had happened to him when he stopped responding. I also discussed it with another mutual friend who you may know — Paul F. (“Hohenstaufen” from EuroRebirth and edpf. If we’re speaking of the same person, someone who I think of as one of my only three close friends in my years in these circles, then I have an obituary that I believe is his, dated August 14, 2008. He was 53, as fine a person and as genuine a White activist as I’ve known.

13. Jim
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Good comrades aren’t easy to come by these days. I’m sorry for your loss.