A personal appeal from Jef Costello
Let Us Be Comrades

1,478 words

machine age drawingI inherited a bit of money a few years ago, and I have been spending a lot of it on promoting the White Nationalist movement, specifically Counter-Currents. I just promised Greg Johnson $2,000. But there’s a catch: this is a “matching grant.” You folks have to contribute $2,000 before Greg ever sees a red cent from me. Okay, now STOP. I know what you’re thinking: “Oh boy, this has turned into a fund-raising appeal. I’ll skip this . . .” But wait! I have something important to say. So please stick with me for just a minute, because it could very well change your life.

You’re on this website because you agree with me that our people and our culture are facing their worst crisis ever: their possible extinction. You’re here to gather some intellectual ammunition. And once you’ve sucked some information out of today’s offerings on Counter-Currents you’ll move on to AltRight or American Renaissance, or some other site. The internet has been an enormous boon to our cause, in that we’re able to get the word out and to influence people like never before. But here’s the problem: a movement cannot consist entirely of isolated, anonymous individuals glued to their computers collecting “information.”

A movement has to consist of individuals in real personal contact with each other. Now, some of us live in areas where we don’t know a single person who thinks the way that we do. The answer to this, of course, is to cultivate contacts in other areas, and to keep in regular touch – either by email (or online chatting) or, preferably, by phone. These are “relationships of ideas”: long-distance friendships based upon agreement. But while a friendship can begin because of intellectual agreement, it cannot be sustained on that basis alone. If our relationships – long distance or otherwise – are based entirely on agreement, that is simply a recipe for “breaks,” “rifts,” and “schisms.”

When you get right down to it, there are only a small handful of points that we really need to agree on. The major thing, in fact, is just a forthright, unqualified, and unapologetic love for our race and our culture. If that is a given, then we can disagree about many other things – and still be comrades. Years ago when I lived in a different city I had the good fortune to be part of a small, local White Nationalist circle. We would get together for weekly meetings, and even travel together. One of these guys was a bit of a nincompoop: sort of a parasite, cheap, somewhat flakey, insecure, and not the greatest brain of the bunch. “He’s a loser,” somebody said to me. “Yes, but he’s our loser,” I responded. In other words, he was still one of us – still part of the pack. This is comradeship, and it’s based on a kind of affection. It can’t be based just on ideas alone.

And what’s also necessary here is commitment. You know you’re committed when you are willing to be inconvenienced; when you’re willing to make a sacrifice. If you’re not willing to help your best friend move, then you’re not committed to the friendship. Our movement has got to be based upon personal commitment: commitment to others like ourselves in a spirit of true comradeship, and commitment to our cause.

But if all you are willing to do is to read White Nationalist websites, then you’re not really committed to our cause. You’re just like one of those deadbeats that listens to public radio every day and then gives nothing during the pledge drives (and then complains: “Another pledge drive? Jeeez . . .”).

If you’re not willing to make some sort of sacrifice to our cause – if you’re not willing to be inconvenienced just a little bit – then please don’t bemoan the fact that our movement moves at glacial pace. Part of the problem is you. In the immortal words of Pogo, my father’s favorite comic strip, “We have met the enemy, and he is us.”

We’ve got to make those personal connections, we’ve got to collect comrades. But when we do each will ask the other, “What are you doing?” or “What have you done?” I write, and I can do that because I have a lot of spare time. Others have less time, and writing isn’t for them. We do what we can. Collecting comrades and sharing ideas is a noble endeavor. No matter what, the essential ingredient is commitment and sacrifice – of some kind or other.

Some of us are committed heavily to other things – like family. What they can do is to support those who are working for our cause. And this is where money comes in. You knew I was going to get back to that, right? I give money to Counter-Currents for a very simple reason: it’s the best thing going in the USA. Counter-Currents is the best Right-wing website in English. Its articles – as you’ve noticed – are consistently pitched at a high intellectual level. And the variety is tremendous. Looking at what’s up there right now we have an essay by Greg Johnson on Heidegger, a substantial essay by Francis Parker Yockey, an essay by Evola, a translation by the poet Leo Yankevich, an interview with the poetess Juleigh Howard-Hobson, and much else.

But Counter-Currents is much more than a website. There’s also Counter-Currents Publishing (more about that anon). And the website and the books are the two major weapons in the arsenal of a new intellectual movement: the North American New Right. This movement was started by Greg Johnson and several other comrades (myself included) in reaction against the tired “Old Right” paradigm of badly-printed journals and conferences devoted to IQ, demographics, cranial measurements, crypto-Republicanism, and Christian apologetics.

NANR is founded on the principle that if we are to win, what we need is total intellectual revolution. The Left has produced its own philosophy, anthropology, literature and literary criticism, art and art criticism, sociology, historiography, etc. The Right must do the same. The aim of the NANR is to produce an entirely new culture. Right now, it is a counter-culture. But it lays the groundwork to be much more. And it can be much more, because unlike the Left we have Truth on our side (see my essay “Strength Through Joy”).

However, Counter-Currents cannot accomplish its mission without the help of comrades who are willing to make a commitment, and a sacrifice. With the loss of Mike Polignano, Greg Johnson is currently doing the work of two men. And this is his full-time job, folks. He is managing the website, writing for it, handling all book orders, and currently preparing a number of books for publication by such authors as Savitri Devi, Leo Yankevich, Jonathan Bowden, Collin Cleary, Maurice Bardèche, James O’Meara, Andy Nowicki, Julius Evola, Anthony Ludovici, and Derek Hawthorne. And, financially, these are lean times. A great deal of the money from book sales goes back into printing more books. Take a look at the last “Newsletter” Greg published and you’ll see what a success the website has become. And the books are making an impact as well.

But, at present, Counter-Currents cannot be sustained without donations. That’s why I’ve promised Greg a matching grant of $2,000. If you enjoy Counter-Currents, if you have learned from it, if you believe in our mission then commit. Be a true comrade. I know my readers expect humor from me, but I can’t be funny about this. I mean what I say. If you believe in our cause and the worth of what we do at Counter-Currents, then you must make some sacrifice. Stop reading me in the middle of the sentence you are reading right now and go to the DONATE page. Give what you can. Even a donation of $25 or $50 will be appreciated. Give more if you are able. And once the donations have reached $2,000 I will dutifully fork over my matching grant.

Counter-Currents has been going now for a little over three years. A lot has been accomplished in that time. But each month is a struggle. And the point where we’re able to say “Hallelujah, we are self-sustaining!” has not yet been reached. What is especially vital, at this point, is to involve more and divide the labor. Without comrades willing to shoulder the burden, we cannot grow. But if you cannot edit or write or stuff envelopes for us, at least give us the money that you would have spent on that giant bottle of Jägermeister, or that Blu-ray of The Wicker Man – or that Hugo Boss suit, or that Porsche 911 Cabriolet.

It’s fine to have the right ideas, but actions speak louder than words. So commit, sacrifice – now. And let us be comrades. There is no comradeship without sacrifice.

This entry was posted in news item and tagged , , , , . Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Peter Quint
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

I give $30 a month next year I plan to bump it up to $40 a month, plus I buy a book every month. I do not have internet (I am doing this at the library); I do not have cable or satellite tv; I do not have phone service of any kind; I do not have gym dues (I run a lot and do a lot of pushups and situps); I rarely eat out (I eat a lot of oatmeal). I think the world of counter-currents. By the way, the icons for “On Being A Pagan,” and “Archeofuturism” don’t work. How can I purchase them if the icons don’t work?

Posted September 30, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks for all you do. You are one of our longest and most loyal supporters.

I will get those linke fixed.

On Being a Pagan is out of print, but I hope CC can bring it back into print soon.

2. classic sparkle
    Posted September 29, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

How much does it cost to write and translate?

I think if we were more accountable and provided folks with a breakdown of where our contributions went people would be more inclined to donate to the cause.

It’s why i personally don’t give.

Posted September 29, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Since you have donated in the past, what has changed?

Every time I do a fundraiser, somebody pops up with questions about “accountability” and “transparency.” Who could be opposed to them? But hear me out.

1. I am asking for support of the Counter-Currents webzine, books, etc. — those and those alone. And they are all out there in public. Isn’t the “surface” of Counter-Currents appealing enough? If that is not good enough for you, then please, keep your money. The rest of Counter-Currents, and my life in general, is a black box and will remain so.

2. There is a slippery slope once you go beyond the surface. There are people who give $5 or $5,000 and then think that they own you, that they can dictate editorial policy or, even more ridiculously, second-guess where you live, your hobbies, etc. “Greg Johnson goes to symphony concerts. I’m strictly a rock and roll guy. I can’t support a person who goes to classical concerts.” Or vice-versa. You get the picture. It is the American default moral wiring of the Puritan village where everyone is snooping in his neighbor’s business and worried about how their associations and choices might look to the Witchfinder General. Again, if that is what you are after, keep your money.

3. There is never any reciprocity in calls for transparency. I will share my business and personal accounts with the first person who will share his.

• rhondda
      Posted September 29, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Wow, sparkle pony if you do not think intellectual stimulation is worth something without a cost/benefit analysis, then I really do feel sorry for you. I have learned so much by reading the posts here and have had to think hard about stuff, and that to me is worth alot. Probably worth more than I gave back.

• White Republican
      Posted October 1, 2013 at 6:01 am | Permalink

Many people seem to think that writing is simply a matter of having opinions and expressing them: since they can do this themselves for free, they think it’s unreasonable that others should be paid to do such work. Such people profoundly underestimate the time, money, and effort that serious intellectual and literary work entails of those who partake in such work, as well as the value of such work for a movement. They also ignore the costs of failing to fully employ our most talented thinkers, scholars, writers, and artists. If the work of such people is not adequately remunerated, or at least subsidized (which is perhaps the best that can be done today), they will be unable to do their best work, the work that only they can do, the work that can benefit us collectively (even if we don’t appreciate it as individuals).

The people I am criticizing here often view intellectual and literary work in the most selfish and short-sighted of terms: they view things as consumers, they expect things to be free, and they routinely denigrate anything and everything that doesn’t conform to their individual tastes, interests, ideas, and intellectual level. Such people often think that they have nothing to learn, although what they say often indicates that they have a lot to learn — including respect for their betters.

3. reiner arischer Tor
    Posted September 29, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

I just made a Trevor Lynch WNist Guide donation, I’m not sure if it counts towards the matching grant, but I had planned to do that for a long time anyway.

4. Posted September 28, 2013 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

I wish I could afford to donate.

I really do.

Please consider devising another system that allows people to “donate” to the Cause without the use of legal tender.

Example:

“I agree to donate two hours – one hour – 30 minutes – 15 minutes – of my time to going to X.com and spreading the word”.

Something like that.

Guys, what do you think?

If you had something like that set up I would sign on right now.

It would have to be set up in such a way that it made the donor accountable, somehow. Committed.

Just a pre-implementable concept.

I’m good at pre-implementable concepts.

Now somebody please go work out the details I have ADD I need to check in on Heartiste.

Sincerely,

– Arturo

crimesofthetimes.com

Posted October 1, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Arturo,

I appreciate your desire to help. I am not sure, though, how such a concept would be implemented.

How about this: promote CC every day to your Facebook and Twitter accounts. That would be quick, easy, and very helpful.

Also, if you do use Amazon.com, please bookmark our affiliate link so we will receive a commission for all your purchases. That would not cost you any additional money, as they commissions come from Amazon, not you.

Thanks,
      Greg

5. J Bonaccorsi, Phila
    Posted September 28, 2013 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Mr. Costello, I shall gladly contribute every single penny I “would have spent on that giant bottle of Jägermeister, or that Blu-ray of The Wicker Man – or that Hugo Boss suit, or that Porsche 911 Cabriolet.” That’s exactly Zero Dollars and Zero Cents. — What the hell are you talking about?

• reiner arischer Tor
      Posted September 29, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I guess it’s not that difficult to figure out that he meant that any money you were to spend on small or big luxuries (like a bottle of liquor or especially a luxury car) you should donate to the cause instead. If you never, ever in your life spend anything on luxuries, not even small ones, then I guess this article was not written for you, and maybe you could more profitably be reading Homeless Magazine instead.

6. Gerard Domenico
    Posted September 28, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Too bad about the loss of Mr. Polignano. I hope he departs only this organization and not the movement. I always thought highly of him. His courage and honesty as an undergraduate at Emory was astounding.

Posted September 28, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

He is still part of the larger cause. You have not heard the last of him.

7. rhondda
    Posted September 28, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

This isn’t fair. I already sent a donation. This time I can only afford $5.

Posted September 28, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

We appreciate your desire to help. You have done a lot to help already. So you can sit this matching grant out and let others who have not yet donated come forward. Thanks again.

• Trainspotter
      Posted September 28, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Rhondda, no worries. You’ve inspired me to send in a donation.

Greg, $100 will be going out snail mail next week. Counter-Currents is an extremely important venture, and I don’t think I engage in hyperbole when I say that it expresses the spiritual core of this thing of ours. Thank you for all that you do.

Thanks also to Jef Costello for his talented writing, his generosity, and overall dedication to the Cause.

• Jef Costello
        Posted September 29, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Thank you very much!!

8. Art
    Posted September 28, 2013 at 9:25 am | Permalink

If one were to buy counter-currents’ kindle e-books, would this be virtually the same as donating?

Posted September 28, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

We appreciate your purchases, but they will not count toward the matching grant.

From Plato to Postmodernism