From the Editor:
The Lightning & the Sun & Other Matters

Savitri-Lightning-Mock2636 words

Some concerned readers have been asking the same questions, and although they are not yet “frequently asked,” I still thought it best to answer them all at once in a single post.

1. What has happened to The Lightning and the Sun?

I have pushed the release date back a second time to December 21, 2013. The reason for this is simple. I was hoping that we would have enough pre-orders to pay for a single, high-quality print run with the same printer who did the hardcover and paperback editions of Gold in the Furnace and Defiance.

So far — and much to my surprise — we have only had 30-odd pre-orders, which will not cover the large deposit we need to put down. So I have decided to give it one more month, and if I do not get sufficient pre-orders, I will just do a print-on-demand edition with the same printer that did Forever and Ever and Counter-Currents’ other titles.

Back in 2010, a generous National Socialist gave $1,000 to help editorial work on The Lightning and the Sun. To thank him, we are planning to have a unique slipcased version of The Lightning and the Sun made for him. (I wish I could have it bound in leather, but of course Savitri would not be amused.) We plan to make several more of these books for friends of the Savitri Devi Archive. If anyone else is interested in such a very limited edition (no more than eight or ten copies), please write to me at [email protected]. This could quite easily fund the printing of the limited edition as well as a good large run of high-quality trade paperbacks.

photo-savitri282. Who won The Lightning and the Sun cover contest?

The contest was won by Matt Koehl of The New Order, who provided us with a very high-quality scan of the most famous photograph of Savitri. We decided on this image because it is in keeping with the covers of the earlier volumes of the Centennial Edition. A basic mockup of the new cover is above, but the image and design will be refined.

3. What happened to the Counter-Currents Newsletter?

I no longer have a webmaster, one consequence of which is that I no longer have access to usable traffic statistics which were the core of our newletter. When I have usable statistics again, I will restart the Newsletter.

4. What happened to the Counter-Currents podcasts?

I lack the technical skills (specifically connected to the dubbing, sound-processing, and editing of my old taped lectures), and I currently do not have somebody to help me. When either of those circumstances changes, we will do podcasts again. Eventually, I will learn how to do podcasts myself, but my plate is simply too full now.

5. Why not just get a new webmaster?

A webmaster has to have more than the necessary skills. I also have to know and trust him. There are a few people who fit both descriptions, but currently none are available. When that changes, I will be able to fix a lot of things that have stopped working, including the statistics and podcasts.

6. You have not been writing much recently. What is going on with Counter-Currents?

I have not been able to write much recently because my mental energy has been focused on three things: (1) taxes and accounting; (2) organizing and executing a recent Counter-Currents “real world” gathering; and (3) editing a number of books as well as North American New Right, vol. 2. Now that the first two projects are behind me, I hope I will be able to write more, but I am still struggling to take on many of Mike Polignano’s tasks.

7. Will Counter-Currents continue?

Yes, of course. I will be doing this for the rest of my life, in one form or another. The best is yet to come.

Thank you for your loyal readership and support.

Editor-in-Chief

This entry was posted in news item and tagged , , , . Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Ulf Larsen
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

How many more pre-orders (or how much money) do we need to be able to print in the same high quality like the SDA hardcovers of “And Time Rolls On” and “Gold … “? It would be a real pitty if we were not able to publish “Lightning” in the quality that it deserves, so we have to know what goal we must reach in order to do so. I have been waiting for this edition for several years now, so I look forward to us reaching this goal. Whe shouldn’t settle for less.

• Joe D. Sunwheel
      Posted October 22, 2013 at 5:15 am | Permalink

Greg, thank you for this informative bulletin. It is greatly appreciated. (see below too)

Ulf, I second your request re: how many copies need to be sold in order to make Greg’s, and R. G. Fowler’s, vision for this edition (what I understand to be the first good edition) a reality.

Would it help if I preordered another copy or two? Perhaps that money could just be donated?

Of course, C-C comes first but Devi is incredibly important. And I would not be here without her work and the tradition she has created/inspired.

Posted October 22, 2013 at 5:35 am | Permalink

Thanks for your kind words. I think that we will get enough preorders in the next month. Also, I have had several inquiries about a deluxe and very limited edition that I am planning for donors. I think that announcing the cover contest winner and providing a mockup of the final cover will help as well. It makes the book seem much more real.

Posted October 22, 2013 at 5:33 am | Permalink

I need about 35 more preorders — not such a lot. I am sure I can drum those up in the next month. I will send an email out to my list of former purchasers.

• Ulf Larsen
        Posted October 22, 2013 at 7:33 am | Permalink

OK. I shall check with some friends to see if they have preordered yet. 35 should be no huge problem.

2. White Republican
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 3:22 am | Permalink

“Back in 2010, a generous National Socialist gave $1,000 to help editorial work on The Lightning and the Sun. To thank him, we are planning to have a unique slipcased version of The Lightning and the Sun made for him. (I wish I could have it bound in leather, but of course Savitri would not be amused.)”

This reminds me of the following story:

“In 1987, a promotional campaign was launched under the name of Le Rat noir, which included an advertising leaflet offering Alfred Rosenberg’s Le mythe du XXème siècle (The Myth of the Twentieth Century), the reference book of the racist ideology of National Socialism. In an outrageous expression of foul humour, which revealed the group’s malicious racism and anti-Semitism, the book was also offered as a luxury edition, bound in the skin of Elie Wiesel.” (Damir Skenderovic, The Radical Right in Switzerland: Continuity and Change, 1945-2000, p. 302)

Posted October 21, 2013 at 3:29 am | Permalink

Well Savitri would have no objection to that sort of binding.

• Donar van Holland
      Posted October 21, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

If that is foul humour, I want more of it!

3. E.
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 3:16 am | Permalink

This is so good to hear! As a university student, I truly admire and look up to you and all the other writers here, so I am very pleased to hear that Counter-Currents will be continuing. I hope very much to be in the position to help out someday; in the meantime, please know that you have my wholehearted support. Thank you for all that you do!