56:55 / 133 words
To listen in a player, click here.
To download the mp3, right-click here and choose “save link as” or “save target as.”
To subscribe to our podcasts, click here .
Greg Johnson has a conversation with Canadian filmmaker Hugh MacDonald about the concepts vanity, pretentiousness, and snobbery. Topics include:
- Good and bad senses of vanity
- Good and bad senses of pretentiousness
- The concept of taste
- Good and bad senses of snobbery
- Bad vanity, pretentiousness, and snobbery all have aspects of failure and falsehood
- Rousseau on vanity (amour propre) vs. self-love (amour de soi-même)
- Vanity and honor
- Caring about the opinions of others
- Vanity and civilization
Let us know if you would like to sit in on more such conversations.