My European Listening Tour

Tallinn, Estonia

1,256 words

Thanks to the generous sponsorship of one of our donors, I am on another European listening tour. The first stop was Stockholm, where I spoke at the inaugural meeting of the Scandza Forum, along with Kevin MacDonald, Guillaume Durocher, Jonas de Geer, and Marcus Follin (The Golden One). The title of my talk was “Heidegger and the Jewish Question.” More than 100 people were in attendance, which is a very auspicious beginning for the Scandza Forum, a new metapolitical organization modeled on the London Forum.

On Sunday the 21st, after observing a mobile app launch party in which the Leftist and multicultural element of Stockholm was on full and sinister display, I took an overnight boat from Stockholm to Tallinn, Estonia. The contrast could not have been more marked. Aside from a few lame shipboard entertainers, the boat was filled entirely with white people — thousands of them, about half of them Russian, including hundreds of children wearing various folk costumes, receiving prizes, and posing for photographs.

I arrived in Tallinn on Monday, May 22nd. After touring the amazing Seaplane Harbor Museum and the beautiful medieval city of Tallinn, I spoke to members of Estonia’s Blue Awakening youth movement on the relationship of language, myth, and identity.

The next morning I took a very fast and modern train to Tartu, Estonia — a beautiful Baroque-era city — to speak to another Blue Awakening group on order, chaos, and building a resilient nationalist community. I want to thank Ruuben Kaalep for setting up both meetings and serving as my guide.

While in Tartu, I visited the Estonian National Museum, a rather depressing modern building full of exhibits on Estonian history and folk culture. The best part of the museum were the exhibits on the Finno-Ugrian peoples of the world. The next morning I returned to Tartu and went to the Art Museum of Estonia, a quite beautiful modern building near a magnificent park and a Baroque palace built by Peter the Great.

Both museums were remarkable because they were entirely devoted to Estonian art and history, and although the National Museum did deal with the Estonians’ Finno-Ugrian cousins, they conspicuously rejected the idea that Estonia today is a multicultural society.

At the end of the Second World War, Estonia was 97% ethnically Estonian. The Soviets, however, killed and deported large number of Estonians and replaced them with largely Russian colonists, whose descendants make up about 30% of the present-day population of Estonia. The two populations do not mix much and remain easily distinguishable sub-racial types. (Estonians, by the way, are among the most beautiful people in Europe.)

In the Estonian National Museum and Art Museum, Russians are represented as invaders and occupiers, not as fellow citizens of a multicultural society. Although the official line toward the Soviets in museum captions and guidebooks is ideologically liberal, the underlying assumption of both museums is ethnonationalist — as it should be.

All told, I spent three-and-a-half days in Estonia, and I noticed that I felt much more relaxed and energetic than usual. I attribute it wholly to being in a nice white country. It is a sobering truth that as an American, I feel much more at home in an Eastern European country where people speak a completely alien language than in an major city in my so-called “homeland.” Truly, there is “no place like home” in a multicultural society.

If you wish to visit an Eastern European whitopia, I highly recommend Estonia. What is old is beautiful. What is modern is often beautiful and always well-maintained and highly functional. The people are attractive and friendly, and everything is quite affordable.

On Thursday, May 25th, I flew from Tallinn to London and was plunged into a hot, humid, multiracial bedlam. However, once I got off the train and into an air-conditioned cab, I was astounded once again at the sheer magnificence of London, even in her present fallen and colonized state. As a friend later put it, whenever you despair of the people on the street, just look up at the buildings. In London, practically every modern building looks older, sadder, and drabber than anything built before WWII.

On Friday, May 25th, I attended the first annual Jonathan Bowden Dinner. Nearly 80 people were present, and as in the United States, the recent trend in British Nationalist gatherings is to attract increasing numbers of young, squared-away people. I gave a brief talk called “In Praise of Extremists,” and Jez Turner was presented with the annual Jonathan Bowden Prize for Oratory. I want to thank Stead Steadman for organizing the event and inviting me to speak.

On Saturday, May 26th, I spoke for the fourth time at the London Forum, which is the most important Rightist metapolitical organization in the UK and the model for the New York Forum, the Northwest Forum, the Scandza Forum, and similar events all over the white world. I was one of four speakers. More than 100 people were present.

My talk was called “A New Beginning: Heidegger on Ethnic Nationalism.” It was a well-received attempt to bridge the gap between Heidegger’s lofty and arcane philosophy and his support for National Socialism. I tried to follow Gordon Baum’s advice, delivered in Paris in 2001: “You gotta get it down where the chickens can get at it.” I will publish the text of the lecture at Counter-Currents next week.

I want to thank Jez Turner, Mick Brooks, and the rest of the London Forum team, especially the large and very professional security detail, for the opportunity to speak at another well-attended and flawlessly-organized meeting.

I spent the next three days in London, meeting with friends, supporters, and Counter-Currents writers; giving two interviews; and of course spending a good deal of time at the British Museum and National Gallery. I was especially impressed with a Dank Early Manga exhibit at the British Museum, Hokusai Beyond the Great Wave, which collects works from nearly 70 years of the creative life of the great Japanese painter and print-maker Hokusai, who is most famous for his iconic The Great Wave, which in the breadth of its influence, reproduction, and merchandising is a sort of Japanese equivalent of Van Gogh’s Starry Night. The exhibition ends on August 13, 2017, and I highly recommend it to anyone living in or passing through London. In particular, I found Hokusai’s late works — clearly inspired by Taoist metaphysics — to conjure up stunning irruptions of the numinous into nature.

On Tuesday, May 30th, I flew back to Eastern Europe to isolate myself, live cheaply, and recharge in a whitopian atmosphere while I spend a month working on The White Nationalist Manifesto. (Please click here if you wish to support this project.)

Although I am humbled that so many Europeans are willing to show up to hear me speak — sometimes in a language that is foreign to them (how many Americans could do the same?) — the primary aim of these travels is to listen and learn from our European cousins, since the European movement remains decades ahead of the North American movement in ethos, organization, and accomplishments. So thank you for listening, and even more so for the opportunities to network and learn.

Editor-in-Chief

If you wish to support Counter-Currents, please consider a donation:

• Go to PayPal.com and send your donation to patron@counter-currents.com or click the button below.

• You may use the secure online donation form below.

• American Express
    Discover
    MasterCard
    Visa
    JCB
    Maestro

• You may also send check, money order, or credit card payment by mail. Just print out our donation form in Word or PDF.

Related

This entry was posted in North American New Right and tagged , , , , . Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Lemur
    Posted June 9, 2017 at 4:37 am | Permalink

Interesting commentary on the Baltics. Whenever you travel to those relatively un-pozzed parts of the old world, commentary is always appreciated.

2. Erick
    Posted June 3, 2017 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

Estonia is a beautiful country, with beautiful people. I think it has the most models per capita or something in the world, too. The loss of phenotype is right up there for me with loss of civilization, safety and economic prosperity when it comes to the perils of white displacement.

It’s a good place to live too, probably the closest country culturally to NW Europe in the east, likely dating back to the Livonian Order or Swedish colonialism era. In 1898 the Russian Empire census had Estonia with 70-80% literacy while the rest of the Russian Empire was around 15%, even as late as 1938 Estonia(and Latvia) was richer per capita than Finland, Ireland and Italy before the Soviets conquered them again. As of 2015 Estonia now has the highest PISA scores of any white country in the world, when back in the early 2000s it was your typical Netherlands, Germany, etc, thanks third world immigration.

Estonia still faces major issues though, despite a rapidly growing economy so many Estonians leave for other EU countries, and Russia boogeyman non-sense aside, there is actually a real threat of Estonia being annexed again in the future, especially if western Europe is to become Brazil 2.0.

3. Posted June 3, 2017 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Did you see the leaning tower of Tartu? 🙂 Ma armastan Eestimaa!

Posted June 3, 2017 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

I didn’t, but I had lunch in the Olde Hansa restaurant. All Medieval recipes. No potatoes on the menu. Delicious.

4. Andre Harhanoff
    Posted June 3, 2017 at 10:11 am | Permalink

I don’t want to nickpick, but according Estonian census of 1934 88.1% of population was Estonian.

Posted June 3, 2017 at 10:34 am | Permalink

I am sure it was in 1934. By 1944, the German and Swedish populations of Estonia, which were the largest ethnic minorities, had largely left the country.

• K. B.
        Posted June 3, 2017 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Giving some perspective from a german who’s grandfather was involved in training the Estonian volunteers. Many estonians of german roots, called “Volksdeutsche”, indeed fled together with family to germany and austria after the war to escape what would have happened to them if they stayed as estonian volunteers of the WSS. When german and austrian veteran orgs held their meetings after the war you would often have former estonian, latvian, lithuanian as well as french former volunteers attend, most with german roots and german last names. They were supported by german veteran organisations because they came here without anything of value.
        I’m not sure if any estonians of german roots stayed in Estonia after the war, i only know of ethnic estonians who volunteered with the WSS do so. A famous example is knights cross winner:
        who was able to visit his former comrades at the veteran meetings here once the iron curtain fell.
        He spent a long time in a siberian gulag but that didn’t break him and after the soviet union collapsed, Estonia made him a captain of the national military as he has well deserved.
        I only know of some estonian “Volksdeutsche” who moved to Estonia in the 1990s and early 2000s so i believe the ethnic german minority is at least present again, i don’t know about any presence there during the soviet union though.
        Just thought i add this here for those interested.

• ex South African
          Posted June 6, 2017 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Tallin used to be called Reval.

Interesting material on the Volksdeutsche of the Baltikum (Baltic states) – the book “Baltic Tragedy” (has it ever been translated to English?) German title: Siegfried von Vegesack, Die Baltische Tragödie. Lots of German Baltic history has been captured by regular publications by time witnesses of that fateful era issued by the Carl Schirren Gesellschaft/Society.

5. Neal Matheson
    Posted June 3, 2017 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Darn it, it was YOU speaking at the Bowden dinner! Now I feel doubly sick that I missed it.

Posted June 3, 2017 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Yes, I was the Greg in “egregious.”

• Neal Matheson
        Posted June 3, 2017 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Ha knowing I missed that hardly makes it better! Hopefully I’ll catch you next time you’re over.

• Ike
        Posted June 4, 2017 at 2:44 am | Permalink

Egregiously erudite, I knew that was you but I didn’t say a word, your secret is always safe with me Batman. Cheers.
        Ike.