A Voice in the Wilderness

Jean-Marie Le Pen

Translated by Guillaume Durocher

Translator’s Note: The following is a translation of the final paragraphs of the first volume of Jean-Marie Le Pen’s Mémoires: Fils de la nation (Paris: Muller, 2018), pp. 402-403.

. . . in the end, the Second World War is a detail of history and a detail in the use of history for ideological ends.

Today, it’s all of Europe’s history which is the subject of a great lie, and of an enormous inversion whose objective is, in my opinion, to inculcate – along with repentance – hatred of one’s self, of one’s lineage, and of one’s education, justifying non-resistance to the invasion, to the great replacement, and to decadence. Worst of all is that they target the young, the weak, the children, and the adolescents toward this end, who are roped in by the public education system.

Well, for me this is a crime. To deracinate the young, to set them against those who made them and what made them – that is a crime against all of human history. For me, all my predecessors were not the monsters whom they like to describe as such. On the contrary, I feel that I am their heir. Maurras was right: The child who is born French will never be able to give back to his country one one-thousandth of what he owes her. He owes her his life, education, protections, habits, and customs: the very landscapes through which he travels without glancing at them were fashioned by his forefathers.

Since Mitterrand, the general opinion is that we should “go beyond history.” In my case, I think that we need to continue history. I counter the mullahs of utopia and their infernal tabula rasa with the duty of piety towards one’s forefathers and one’s fatherland. The fourth commandment. My filial piety is my French consciousness. Our country’s traditions and the natural order are not a web of errors. On the contrary, it is disobedience against our fundamental principles which is causing the decadence from which we are dying, and which is calling forth our replacement. Against the criminal parody of history engaged in by Emmanuel Macron, when he asserts that France committed a “crime against humanity” in Algeria, and so much other nonsense which he luxuriates himself in, I feel the duty to defend – with intelligence and truth – my country.

Just so you know, I don’t really care about my bad reputation according to this yardstick. I know how the trumpets of fame sound, and I couldn’t care less. I know that it is bad to shake the hand of Léon Degrelle and not to send Faurrisson to jail. The system’s lady patronesses, since Alain Duhamel,[1] have explained to me quite sufficiently that this was detrimental to my future. And, by God, if I had listened to the hall monitors when I was a young independent MP following the Giscardian[2] career path, I would have ended up being a minister, maybe even a president. The Gaullists, by the way, proposed that I join them in 1962 – after all, I had not participated either in the putsch nor in the OAS.[3] But – thank goodness for me – I was in no way attracted to these opportunities for sweetness, honorary positions, and greed.[4]

If I had meaning, it was in shouting the truth, in season and out of season – as did my patron, Saint John the Baptist – to be the voice which refuses lies, the voice which comforts and lifts up the sick, humiliated, and insulted people. Politics, after all, may not have completely been my thing. I was rather – how to say? – a watchman, a sentinel, a whistleblower, the head dog who senses that the sleigh is heading towards a crevice,[5] a pain in the ass, a shit-stirrer,[6] a prophet? A voice, who cries in the wilderness until it is answered.

Notes

[1] A prominent journalist who has worked in television since the 1970s.

[2] A liberal-conservative politician who served as President of France between 1974 and 1981.

[3] The putsch des généraux of April 21, 1961, in which four French generals in Algeria sought to topple Charles de Gaulle’s government, rightly fearing that he would abandon the colony and its population of one million European settlers. The Organisation de l’Armée secrète (Organization of the Secret Army, or OAS) was a dissident paramilitary organization which sought to keep Algeria French through violent actions against the French government.

[4] My very tentative translation of couche molle.

[5] Compare Céline: “I may have had the subtlety of a [barking] sled dog [une chienne]. No more.”

[6] Emmerdeur.

Related

1. Gordo
    Posted November 27, 2018 at 3:41 am | Permalink

If so I will buy a copy.

2. A. Yell
    Posted November 26, 2018 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

“The putsch des généraux of April 21, 1961, in which four French generals in Algeria sought to topple Charles de Gaulle’s government, rightly fearing that he would abandon the colony and its population of one million European settlers. The Organisation de l’Armée secrète (Organization of the Secret Army, or OAS) was a dissident paramilitary organization which sought to keep Algeria French through violent actions against the French government.”

Vive L’Algerie Francaise!
    If I may suggest two good books on this subject…..

A Savage War of Peace: Algeria 1954-1962 by Alistair Horne
    and
    Wolves in the City: The Death of French Algeria by Paul Henissart

The are also a couple of good movies….

The Battle of Algiers directed by Gillo Pontecorvo
    and
    Lost Command starring Anthony Quinn

The latter movie was based on a novel by Jean Larteguy: The Centurions. Larteguy followed this up with The Praetorians.

3. A. Yell
    Posted November 26, 2018 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

So, is Counter-Currents going to publish the complete English translation???

• Guillaume Durocher
      Posted November 28, 2018 at 3:53 am | Permalink

Perhaps if we can crowdfund it . . .

• Fróði Midjord
        Posted November 28, 2018 at 6:30 am | Permalink

Good idea. CC should crowdfund it — it would be an instant bestseller.

• A. Yell
        Posted November 28, 2018 at 7:14 am | Permalink

Great! I’m poor but I’ll kick in $20.00. Maybe more!

4. Martin C Brown
    Posted November 25, 2018 at 4:35 am | Permalink

“You can have your own opinion, however you are not allowed your own facts”. The fact is there is not a country, state, city or any organization that is controlled by black or dark skinned people that has not devolved into corruption, poverty and total chaos. Crime skyrockets, infrastructure collapses and people starve. I offer not a cause or a solution, just a fact, I welcome anyone to look at an atlas and prove me wrong. No man was born racist or prejudice, we were trained to this by the actions and experiences we have as we get older.

5. Traddles
    Posted November 24, 2018 at 9:34 am | Permalink

All of us with white ancestors should feel the same way about them as Le Pen does about La France, whether they were English, Irish, Italian, German, Polish, Russian, etc.

6. De Gaulle
    Posted November 23, 2018 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

About 20% of France wants to remain truly French. That’s around the percentile of FN supporters. It’s Definitely enough people to get a strong cultural movement going. The leaders of the movement must demand more of their base. Asking for votes is not enough. It must include time, money, culture creation activities, child rearing, fidelity to family and nation.