On Sunday, February 24th, 2019, Amazon.com — the world’s book marketplace — banned my book The White Nationalist Manifesto.
Amazon did not merely decide to no longer stock the book. They also removed the product listing pages. So it is as if the book never even existed.
Orwell called this the “memory hole.” It is not enough for totalitarians to kill their enemies. They must also be erased from history.
Not only did Amazon suppress my opinions — which are protected by the First Amendment to the US Constitution — they deleted the opinions of the customers who reviewed the book.
Amazon does, however, continue to sell the following works:
- Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, The Communist Manifesto  — the manifesto of a movement that murdered more than 100 million people, specifically targeting an entire class of people — the bourgeoisie — for destruction; for sale in many editions from the richest capitalist in the world
- Leon Trotsky’s Terrorism and Communism  — a defense of political terrorism
- Adolf Hitler’s Mein Kampf  — also available in many editions — which is apparently less threatening to the current world order than my book.
- The Unabomber’s Manifesto  — which does seem to create a moral hazard. Want to get your book published? Start mailing out package bombs. Kill three people and injure 23 others, and your book might also be fit to stock at Amazon.com.
- Valerie Solanas’ S.C.U.M. Manifesto  — S.C.U.M. being an acronym for Society to Cut Up Men. Solanas published her manifesto in 1967. In 1968, she attempted to murder Andy Warhol.
- The Anarchist’s Cookbook — corrected and updated to make it extra lethal
- Osama Bin Laden’s Messages to the World  — mastermind one of history’s greatest terrorist attacks, and you too might be fit to stock at Amazon.com
- Voice of Hezbollah: The Statements of Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah  — apparently there’s a whole library of books by Islamist terrorists for sale at Amazon.com
- Theodor Herzl, The Jewish State  — the blueprint of the Zionist movement, which spawned the creation of a Jewish state in Palestine through terrorism, ethnic cleansing, and wars that continue to this day
- Black Nationalist Manifestos by such writers as Marcus Garvey  and Elijah Muhammad 
- Everybody Talks About the Weather . . . We Don’t: The Writings of Ulrike Meinhof 
- Ernesto “Che” Guevara, Guerrilla Warfare 
- Al-Qaida’s Doctrine for Insurgency: Abd al-Aziz al-Muqrin’s “a Practical Course for Guerrilla War” 
Really, one has to ask: Is there a book written by an honest-to-God terrorist or mass murderer that Amazon.com does not stock?
And let’s not even get into Amazon’s vast selections of pornography, sex toys, and drug paraphernalia.
But you should not conclude that Amazon.com is applying its rules for banning radical political works in an inconsistent way. For, in truth, Amazon does not have any rules at all for banning radical political philosophy and even outright how-to manuals to commit acts of terrorism. Here are Amazon’s Content Guidelines for Books:
These guidelines apply to book content, including title, cover art, and product description.
One can, of course, ask what falls under “other inappropriate content” but we already know that it does not include The Communist Manifesto, Mein Kampf, and a host of statements by outright terrorists.
Interestingly enough, Amazon restricts “Offensive and Controversial Materials ,” but specifies that “Amazon’s Offensive Products policies apply to all products except books, music, video and DVD.” In short, they do not apply to The White Nationalist Manifesto.
What happened, then?
I believe that an SJW burrowed into the Amazon machine simply decided to target the Manifesto for an arbitrary ban. Perhaps the same SJW who sabotaged the paperback listing of the Manifesto by showing the back rather than the front cover.
What can we do?
I am appealing the decision. But frankly, there is no explicit appeals process in place. That means that I am going to have to put a lot of effort into this.
Corporations do, however, respond to public opinion. So it would help a great deal if all of you would make this ban into a cause célèbre. It really is outrageous: arbitrary and Orwellian and somewhat scary. People need to know. So share this story on Facebook. Meme it. Tweet it. Troll with it. Have fun.
Tag everything #TheWhiteNationalistManifesto.
Send me your memes at [email protected]  and I will reward you with free copies of the paperback of the Manifesto.
If you want to buy the Manifesto, you can order it here at Counter-Currents . It is also available at Barnes and Noble. Better booksellers around the world can order if for you. We will make an ebook and also an audiobook version available in the coming days.
This is deeply upsetting to me. I have been buying from Amazon.com for 20 years. The only company I truly love is Counter-Currents. But Amazon comes in a close second. Amazon made a good business by selling all books, even those that only sell a few copies a year. That model laid the foundation for Amazon basically becoming a global marketplace for practically everything. Amazon’s algorithms and search functions, as well as its reviews, were enormously helpful in expanding my intellectual horizons. I visit the site virtually every day. And second only to the pride of opening the first carton of a new Counter-Currents book is the pride I felt seeing our titles pop up on Amazon. Even if Amazon completely deplatformed me, I don’t think I could bring myself to never look at it again.
Amazon is as indispensable in today’s world as banks, hospitals, and utilities. And just as the gas company should not be able to make you freeze because they disagree with your politics, Amazon and other natural monopolies like Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook need to be regulated. In fact, to safeguard freedom of opinion, we need a complete ban on politically correct terms of service and employment throughout the US economy. The First Amendment needs to rein in corporate as well as government tyranny.
We are never going to get to that world, however, without making a fuss, and every time one of these corporations hands us an outrage like banning The White Nationalist Manifesto, we need to jump on it.
I will make myself available for press interviews, podcasts, livestreams, whatever. Just contact me at [email protected] .
Frankly, I take this ban as a compliment. Leftists are afraid of my book. But we can’t let them suppress it.
If, however, I can’t get the Manifesto back on Amazon, the effect will be dramatic.
Of all the things I have written for our cause, the Manifesto has the most potential to change minds.
Beyond that, it is our best-selling title, and based on its sales projections, I took the step of hiring a fourth full-time person to work at Counter-Currents. I will honor that commitment come hell or high water. But the increased financial uncertainty means that I am not going to wait until our ninth anniversary, on June 11, to launch our annual fundraiser.
The fundraiser starts today. Last year, we raised over $80,000. This year, we are going to aim for a nice round $100,000.
I am asking all friends of Counter-Currents to help out on this. Do what you can to make this outrage go viral. And support our efforts. Help us stay in this fight.
How You Can Help Counter-Currents
Like most dissident journals of ideas, Counter-Currents depends upon donations to survive. If you want Counter-Currents to thrive, make a donation today.
If you want to send a non-tax deductible donation to Counter-Currents Publishing, you can make two different types of donations:
- A single donation of any size.
- A recurring donation of any size.
I want to make a special pitch today for recurring monthly donations. Recurring donations are particularly helpful, since they allow us better to predict and plan for the future. We still have not recovered from the loss of monthly donors after being deplatformed by PayPal in August of 2017, in the moral panic whipped up after Unite the Right in Charlottesville. Let’s rectify that right now. Please use the secure online form below.
PO Box 22638
San Francisco, CA 94122
Counter-Currents also takes a variety of crypto currencies:
Our Bitcoin address is: 1ChE5DZVVZJpv8mnJ3fRrtSDrTikBh7uFL
Our Etherium address is: 0x6cB1fd85326739bABf48B80B82a4E8470F98Db7C
Our Litecoin address is: LauRgjKWtSSQPkvsjQwzcRtd9DyVwioLfu
Our Monero address is: 4AeTjJVd5i581nxAGv44o2ihK4KThURs6dtJWdMjdTfV6Hc13VSZC664vdkTM5oKhZfZBwdzGH4uN1cD8NukSeqD2DDeqrL
Also, as we first announced in October of 2015, you now have two possible destinations for your donations: Counter-Currents Publishing and the Counter-Currents Foundation. The Counter-Currents Foundation is a US 501c3 educational corporation. Donations to it are deductible from US federal income taxes. The purpose of the Counter-Currents Foundation is specifically to promote scholarship and translations connected to the European New Right and allied movements. If you wish to earmark a donation to the Counter-Currents Foundation, or to discuss a particular project you would like to support, please contact me in advance at [email protected] .
Please give generously!