Counter-Currents Radio Podcast No. 255
A Conversation with Keith Woods

78 words / 59:61

To listen in a player, click here. To download the mp3, right-click here and choose “save link as” or “save target as.”

Greg Johnson talks to Irish YouTuber Keith Woods about his intellectual development, his nationalist politics, his takes on the Iran Crisis, and the disappointing reactions of civic nationalist, Alt-Lite types to the assassination of Quasem Soleimani.

1. Benjamin
    Posted January 10, 2020 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Hey CC / GJ,

I’ve been binge listening to a lot of your podcasts the last week, and I must say, they’re a lot like what Red Ice Radio used to be, back when they actually interviewed people and let them go into their topic of interest.

Before the interestingness of their podcasts went down dramatically as they cut out all the fluff and started focusing ONLY on current events and drilling into the same talking points with Weekend Warrior and Flashback Friday shows.

I had to branch out and give your podcasts a try because, there’s only so much “muh Muslims in Europe are bad for Europe” and “muh White genocide“ and “muh pink haired feminists” talking points you can listen to before you just CAN’T EVEN.

Anyhow, please keep your podcasts in the current format and, for the love of god, never branch out into current events.

Everyone and their mom is doing current events these days

• Jannik T
      Posted January 11, 2020 at 2:24 am | Permalink

I very much agree with you. I still think RedIce do some great interviews. The problem is however that the bulk of their shows (Flashback F., Weekend W.), now focus on current events. It’s main focus has sadly shifted away from interviews about ideas and culture.

A few years ago RedIce was maybe the best dissident right site for interesting and professionally conducted interviews.
      But with their shift in focus, it’s only natural that CC, and other sites, over time would step in and try to fill this void.

• Benjamin
        Posted January 11, 2020 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Red Ice is good and professional, but ultimately they’re very BoilerPlate with the rhetoric and talking points.

If your goal is to get Normie Conservatives over to our side, Nick Fuentes AF show is much better. I literally got my Boomer dad into America First.

• dominique_malaparte
      Posted January 13, 2020 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

In fairness to Red Ice, I suspect that as they became more notorious–and “verboten”–they had a lot more difficulty finding interesting people to agree to an interview. In the early years of the show, they interviewed figures from across the spectrum of ideas.

• Benjamin
        Posted January 15, 2020 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Oh yeah, I totally agree with that.

They need to have Styxhexenhammer (i.e., Tarl Warwick) back on for an interview to talk about paganism. The last time he was on, IIRC, was either this Halloween or last.

His politics are kinda cringe, but his religious stuff is still far more interesting than 90% of the other people they might have one.

I like Steve McNallen and recommend his book on Asatru if you’re Scandinavian or Germanic… but, there’s only so much of that you can listen to before you’ve heard it all.

People like Styx are more creative and have more interesting takes on religious stuff, probably on account of his liberalism, while most of the more “conservative” religious crowd tend to be less creative and more stuffy– even if I ultimately agree with the conservative positions on the issues more-so than the liberals.

2. Sam
    Posted January 10, 2020 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Looking forward to listening to this, Keith Woods is doing excellent work.

3. Adrian
    Posted January 10, 2020 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Rollings Stones members Keith Richards and Ron Wood….Keith Woods. Was that a joke? Fascinating talk.

Posted January 10, 2020 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Yes, that was (an attempt at) a joke.

4. D.M.
    Posted January 10, 2020 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Great interview. He is a wonderful new voice.

5. Maya
    Posted January 10, 2020 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

PJW’s response was actually one of the least disappointing on the Alt-Right. At least he didn’t endorse full-out war.

6. Jud Jackson
    Posted January 11, 2020 at 3:30 am | Permalink

Greg,

I was very much interested in your comments about Ethics in that you suggested that we know Ethical Truths through Intuition. This reminded me of G.E. Moore and his “Principia Ethica” which I read many years ago. Moore’s idea is that “good” is a unique indefinable property which we know through Intuition. So, he was arguing against people like John Stuart Mill who thought that good can be defined as the balance of pleasure over pain.. More recently, there is a philosopher named Michael Huemer, who wrote a book called “Ethical Intuitionism” in which he went to great lengths to defend Moore. I own this book and read it about 5 years ago and it is quite impressive. However, I know that Huemer is impressed with libertarians such as Brian Kaplan and this makes me uneasy.

I just wondered if you had any comments. I know Moore is an Analytic philosopher like Russell and that you wrote a comment to my article on “Race and Astronomy” that you wasted too many hours studying Russell and Quine. I guess my question is “Do you agree with Moore and Huemer”?

Posted January 13, 2020 at 3:47 am | Permalink

Yes, I accept Moore’s position. His “open question” argument about definitions of the good strikes me as devastating.

• D.M.
        Posted January 13, 2020 at 7:22 am | Permalink

But the open question argument applies to eudaimonism as well as to hedonism, indeed, to any naturalistic definition of ‘good’. Hence, the “naturalistic fallacy.” Not sure it is a fallacy. I think all his argument shows is that ‘good’ doesn’t _mean_ any of those things, any more than ‘pain’ means ‘such-and-such behavior’. It doesn’t follow from that that one can’t defend a theory that identifies the good with some natural property. I too favor Greek ethics.

Posted January 13, 2020 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Yes, but if we say that the good is self-actualization, we can always ask if self-actualization is good or bad. As Mark Twain said, be yourself is not the kind of advice you want to give most people. This is why Aristotle is not really a eudaemonist. He talks about actualizing only our good traits not our vices, so his conception of the good is not simple self-actualization but something over and above it that allows us to discriminate between virtue and vice.

7. Philip Smeeton
    Posted January 11, 2020 at 6:56 am | Permalink

A monocultural society is the only society that functions. Multiculturalism divides a nation into conflicting ethnic minorities, and ignores the natural rights of the native population. You do not really need to study philosophy, it is enough to observe the world and to decide how you want your world to be, a world that best suits your well-being. Being confronted with hostility from other ethnic groups mars your happiness; depresses, alienates and angers. The fulfillment that only your once homogeneous culture could have given you has been denied you by academics that have forced their impossible idealistic theory on society. The monocultural nation is the only large unit of humanity that can function harmoniously. With common laws and shared ethical values, common ancestry, customs and traditions.

8. Jon
    Posted January 11, 2020 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Any RSS feed I can subscribe to, so as to slot CC releases into my Inoreader aggregator? The app can also pickup syndication on various player platforms including YouTube.

9. Some White Guy
    Posted January 12, 2020 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

I most appreciated your diving into the puzzle of Jews/Jihad/Islamic Immigration Into The West because it is the largest single issue that does not make logical sense in my head, as presented by the powers that be.

There are clearly some multi-layers to what is going on. Once I noticed that I’d get my head bit off in comments on counter-jihad websites if I asked about any of the contradictions and anomalies, I started looking elsewhere for answers.

Ethno-nationalism for anyone of European stock is always met on counter-jihad sites with gnashing of teeth and horrific bleating about the return of the Third Reich. However, since safe homogeneous homelands for us is a great solution to the jihad problem (and a host of other problems), the screaming anti-nationalism in those circles makes absolutely no rational sense.

10. dominique_malaparte
    Posted January 13, 2020 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Of particular note in this interview is the great insight that rage against Muslim & other unwanted immigrants at home is sublimated into support for jingoistic wars abroad against brown peoples. In truth, we should do the utmost to defend ourselves against replacement in our ancestral homelands, and have no enthusiasm for any new wars abroad.

I say “no enthusiasm” rather than “oppose” because I think that many on the Dissident Right are rather reductionist in maintaining that US actions in the Middle East are simply on behalf of Israeli interests and counter to our own. However incoherent US policy may seem, I think the ultimate goal (or overriding anxiety) is to keep China out of Iraq & Iran.

Although this article on the Strategic Culture site is too muddled to be persuasive, it deserves a look === https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2020/01/08/the-deeper-story-behind-the-assassination-of-soleimani/

I would also point people to JF Garlepy’s interview with Semiogogue, though I fear Semiogogue is rather too optimistic in positing that Russia is now cooperating, in part, with the US against China. Semiogogue sees a three-way competition between the US, Russia & China, with Russia playing the role of the great balancer. I can only hope that this shall come to pass.

Link to JF interview with Semiogogue === https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSqc4RVibjM

The worst case scenario for the US is a Russia-China alliance that dominates the Eurasian landmass and has greater aggregate resources and more advanced technology than “we” in the West. And we would face this rival block as our own lands are weakened and fractured by the “benefits of diversity” and our morale at an utter low point.

11. James Dunphy
    Posted January 13, 2020 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

The one aspect of trait openness not correlated with IQ is aesthetic appreciation. It seems this trait has declined more than IQ in the past two centuries. You see evidence of it everywhere. Music is no longer beautiful but expressionistic or generically sensational. Architecture is functionalist. Art is scribbles and uninspired oddities. Ten times more genetic mutations are bad than good, and it seems people are figuratively casting out their demons visually, sonically, etc.

Anyway, Keith, you’re impressive, and I look forward to more from you.

12. Orcish Scribe
    Posted January 15, 2020 at 4:54 am | Permalink

Sorry, but we do have non cartoon heroes. Ta nehisi Coates and the kardashians, Martin Luther king, who is sort of like obi wan Kinobi, his robes fell empty and he pervades, mostly in street names.