Mishima: The Last Debate

Yukio Mishima, one of the Right’s most celebrated authors, took part in a debate at the University of Tokyo in 1969 with members of the radical left-wing student group Zenkyoto. The debate was filmed, though the tapes were thought to be lost for over 50 years. Upon discovering the archived footage, the debate was remastered and subtitled in English, making Yukio Mishima’s final public debate available for viewing for the very first time since it took place. In addition to the debate footage itself, the documentary features commentary from leading scholars, historians, and firsthand witnesses. You can watch the trailer for this historical documentary here. It’s a good year to be a Mishima scholar; between this film, and Riki Rei’s translations of several historical Mishima texts, the author’s message has never been so easily accessible and understandable. For our articles on Yukio Mishima, including Riki Rei’s original translations, click here.

1. Benjamin
    Posted April 2, 2020 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Since most of us aren’t working, now is the best time for something like this to come out.

I also need to watch that Julius Evola interview from a few years back

2. Mike Ricci
    Posted April 3, 2020 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Mishima looks particularly “festive” in that photo.

3. Riki
    Posted April 3, 2020 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Greg’s kind mentioning of my name and my humble work in translating three pieces of Mishima’s writings lately. It was truly a great honor and pleasure for me to be able to contibute my humble capacities in Japanese language and politics and culture to Counter-Currents. It was a small pity that due to the surging topic of coronavirus currently , my translations of Mishima’s essays have received fewer than expected responses from our readers, which won’t discourage or dampen my morale though, as I will continue to do my humble part in this regard when future occasions call upon my humble contribution.

This yeas marks the 40th year anniversary of Mishima’s noble and desperate self-sacrifice to awaken a languid and comatose nation, and I estimate there will be more new publications in his commemoration from the Japan press. If I spot some newly unearthed and worthwhile essays of his, especially on his political and philosophic thought, I will take time to translate and send them to Greg for his possible consideration to post on CC.

Incidentally, on the well-known movie Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters previously recommendcd on CC by Greg, I happened to spot a video on youtube today featuring the last scenes of the movie. It is narrated in English and only lasts for about 8 minutes. In this movie Mishima was played by the famous late Japanese actor Ken Ogata who is one of my favorite Japanese actors. Though his square face by no means resembles that of Mishima’s, his acting was solid. For those who haven’t watched the movie in full before and would be interested in taking a quick look at the ending secene, here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80uhCUcoiKs

4. Riki
    Posted April 3, 2020 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Correction: This year marks 50 years anniversary of Mishima’s death (1970-2020), not 40 years. Sorry for the careless typo.

5. Martin Venator
    Posted April 3, 2020 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Thank you for you work! I much appreciate it. Mishima really shaped my outlook on life as a young man (not least motivating me to go to the gym!). Works like Spring Snow and Patriotism are among the most beautiful pieces of fictions I have ever read. Much looking forward to this rediscovered footage.

6. Nero
    Posted April 6, 2020 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

He should have just entered politics. That would have been more useful than committing seppuku.